• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom, 2012

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom, 2012

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...he.html?page=1

A year later and millions of Americans are dead and the nation's infrastructure lies in tatters. The World Bank declares America a developing nation. Europe, Scandinavia, China and Japan are also struggling to recover from the same fateful event - a violent storm, 150 million kilometres away on the surface of the sun.
    You've got to laugh.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

To quote from that very article: "It sounds ridiculous. "

New Scientist has dumbed down to the level of a Labour minister in recent years.
    Bored.

Comment

Should I panic now or have I got time to make a cup of tea first?
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Should I panic now or have I got time to make a cup of tea first?
        I think we would all be the better for a good cup of tea and an early night.

Oh good - I do love a good Doom Story !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
          To quote from that very article: "It sounds ridiculous. "

New Scientist has dumbed down to the level of a Labour minister in recent years.
          The New Scientist was always been just a popular science magazine IMO, or at least it was a decade ago and the stories seem much the same today as they were back then. I just flick through a copy at the local library every 6 months or so now.

Comment

I won £25 for a published comment in Last Word. Boomed.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My ex did her final year project (MPhys with Astronomy) on the potentially disasterous effects of CMEs. 10 years ago.

It doesn't sound like the doom has changed much since then.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

what would be the magazine/online or print that is a step or two up from this?
                I have not read but speculate that "Nature" or "Science" are too abstract/professional for me.

I am just an interested geek.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

But according to tree huggers, the sun doesn't effect conditions on earth. Only me driving my car and cows f@rting too much does that - so where's the worry?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    But according to tree huggers, the sun doesn't effect conditions on earth. Only me driving my car and cows f@rting too much does that - so where's the worry?

The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ...

The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ...The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ... The Sun Machine is coming Down and were going to have a party ...

Comment

Working...
                    X