PDA

View Full Version : MP's expenses

Slumdog
23rd March 2009, 13:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7958390.stm

A Tory MP has lodged a complaint with the Parliamentary commissioner for standards about Labour minister Tony McNulty's second home expenses claims.

Tory MP Greg Hands said: "I just don't think his arrangement is defensible."

and so it goes.....

until the (bit i like)

"The three questions MPs should ask now before making a claim is: Does the claim match the purpose of the allowance in question? Could the claim in any way damage the reputation of Parliament? And how comfortable do I feel with the knowledge that my claim will be available to the public under Freedom of Information?,"

essentially, don't get caught, not do you need to make a claim or not

Ruprect
23rd March 2009, 14:21
KUATB (http://forums.contractoruk.com/803458-post6.html)

Cyberman
23rd March 2009, 14:57
Tony Blair, on winning the election in 1997 said: 'We will be whiter than white' in his first speech as Prime Minister. :laugh :rollin:

Cyberman
23rd March 2009, 14:59
... and McNulty has now stopped claiming thanks to being outed by that great seeker of truth, The Daily Mail. :tongue

crimdon
23rd March 2009, 15:07
Tony Blair, on winning the election in 1997 said: 'We will be whiter than white' in his first speech as Prime Minister. :laugh :rollin:

David Cammeron is unlikely to make such a claim as he knows his lot can't wait to get their snouts stuck in the trough too

Ruprect
23rd March 2009, 15:32
... and McNulty has now stopped claiming thanks to being outed by that great seeker of truth, The Daily Mail. :tongue

:laugh ... great seeker of truth... :laugh <wipes tears from eyes>

Foxy Moron
23rd March 2009, 15:36
Great seeker of MMR outbreaks more like

minestrone
23rd March 2009, 17:36
You would think he could spend some money on the roof of the house, the tiles are all over the shop and the roof must be leaking.

minestrone
23rd March 2009, 18:06
The BBC just said he was guilty in "the court of public opinion" :laugh

They should never have came out with that line.

Cyberman
23rd March 2009, 18:45
At a time when HMG will be seeking higher taxes from every person to pay enormous debts caused by them, trousering tens of thousands by dubious expense claims is going to make these self-centred Labour hypocrites as hated as bankers. :rolleyes:

Peoplesoft bloke
23rd March 2009, 19:30
At a time when HMG will be seeking higher taxes from every person to pay enormous debts caused by them, trousering tens of thousands by dubious expense claims is going to make these self-centred Labour hypocrites as hated as bankers. :rolleyes:

What about all the Tories "trousering" the large sums - are they not hypocrites because we all expect them to be sleazy?

Cyberman
23rd March 2009, 20:41
What about all the Tories "trousering" the large sums - are they not hypocrites because we all expect them to be sleazy?

Name them. All of them should be answerable to the public that pay their salaries and expenses and if they are proven to be morally bankrupt such as McNulty and Jackie Smith, they should resign. It does appear though that Labour are the real hypocrites having preached ' whiter than white'. :rolleyes:

minestrone
23rd March 2009, 20:47
Name them. All of them should be answerable to the public that pay their salaries and expenses and if they are proven to be morally bankrupt such as McNulty and Jackie Smith, they should resign. It does appear though that Labour are the real hypocrites having preached ' whiter than white'. :rolleyes:

Hamilton

cybersquatter
23rd March 2009, 22:39
Here's what I don't get: if a contractor claimed the sort of expenses these MPs are claiming for working out of town, they'd have HMRC coming down on them for tax like a ton of bricks.

I know there's the usual 'one rule for them' sigh-and-tut response - but really - why don't HMRC give a damn?

DieScum
23rd March 2009, 22:42
I've claimed expenses in permie job that have been more than many MPs.

It wasn't a perk. I was just claiming expenses.

So if I had to work in a different location I stayed in a hotel and claimed it back. It was just something you do to get your business done. Spending 20k on hotels a year isn't that uncommon for people who work away a lot.

Nobody becomes an MP for the money.

It is all a piece of nonsense.

cybersquatter
23rd March 2009, 22:58
I've claimed expenses in permie job that have been more than many MPs.

It wasn't a perk. I was just claiming expenses.

So if I had to work in a different location I stayed in a hotel and claimed it back. It was just something you do to get your business done. Spending 20k on hotels a year isn't that uncommon for people who work away a lot.

Nobody becomes an MP for the money.

It is all a piece of nonsense.

So have I. But claiming legitimate expenses for hotels is completely different to kitting out a second home 11 miles away with taxpayers' money.

Could you have claimed a £200-a-night per diem? Could you have claimed for a fridge and a plasma TV? I doubt it. But if you were an MP, until recently you could.

Slumdog
23rd March 2009, 23:06
completely agree with cybersquatter.

First home 8 miles from work place and second one 11 miles, not exactly a huge difference really

Green Mango
23rd March 2009, 23:49
Hamilton

Not sure what that means - he took cash for questions and paid the price although not admitting his guilt.

BLAIR - manipulated data to get us into a war in Iraq,
- took money a million off Ecclestone in return for allowing
tobacco to be reprieved for a few years
- took money off private equity managers - tax law changed in their
favour
- took free holidays all round the words
etc etc etc

Labour incompetence, corruption and sleaze beggars belief ...:laugh

BrowneIssue
24th March 2009, 00:15
I don't think the sleaze matters. In comparison with the lie about the "weapons of mass destruction", a few millions being stolen off the taxpayer to line their pockets are not important. Especially compared to their incompetence and mismanagement, anyway.

Thousands of civilians have been killed.

Scores of people have been tortured.

How about we pay all these cabinet ministers and ex-cabinet ministers £10,000,000 tax-free to leave office. (It's cheaper than baling out the banks.)

But on condition they stand trial for the consequences of their lies.

I bet they wouldn't take the money.

Peoplesoft bloke
24th March 2009, 07:57

Sir Nicholas and Ann Winterton

Conservative-MPs-Sir-Nicholas-and-Ann-Winterton-broke-Commons-expenses-rules
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/2151611/Conservative-MPs-Sir-Nicholas-and-Ann-Winterton-broke-Commons-expenses-rules.html)

Derek Conway (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1845199.ece)

BTW I agree Smith and McNulty are scum and should go - unlike you I don't think the Tories would be much better - based on their past record.

Peoplesoft bloke
24th March 2009, 08:00
Here's what I don't get: if a contractor claimed the sort of expenses these MPs are claiming for working out of town, they'd have HMRC coming down on them for tax like a ton of bricks.

I know there's the usual 'one rule for them' sigh-and-tut response - but really - why don't HMRC give a damn?

Totally agree -it's ridiculous.

EternalOptimist
24th March 2009, 08:03
Anyone remember Berlusconi (sp?) bringing in legislation to make something he had done legal ?

what are the chances that this lot will bring in some retrospective legislation at some point to make some of their dodgy dealings leal ?

:rolleyes:

Peoplesoft bloke
24th March 2009, 08:17
I don't think the sleaze matters. In comparison with the lie about the "weapons of mass destruction", a few millions being stolen off the taxpayer to line their pockets are not important. Especially compared to their incompetence and mismanagement, anyway.

Thousands of civilians have been killed.

Scores of people have been tortured.

How about we pay all these cabinet ministers and ex-cabinet ministers £10,000,000 tax-free to leave office. (It's cheaper than baling out the banks.)

But on condition they stand trial for the consequences of their lies.

I bet they wouldn't take the money.

Most Tories voted for the war with Iraq. My (Labour) MP at the time voted against. We would've had the war if the Tories had been in power. I was against it then and I still am.

Peoplesoft bloke
24th March 2009, 08:19
Anyone remember Berlusconi (sp?) bringing in legislation to make something he had done legal ?

what are the chances that this lot will bring in some retrospective legislation at some point to make some of their dodgy dealings leal ?

Zero. Apart form anything else, it would almost certainly contravene Human Rights legislation.

Also whilst McNulty is twisting git, he hasn't done anything illegal (except in the court of you know where!).

What is the Italian legislation you're talking about?

EternalOptimist
24th March 2009, 08:26
Zero. Apart form anything else, it would almost certainly contravene Human Rights legislation.

Also whilst McNulty is twisting git, he hasn't done anything illegal (except in the court of you know where!).

What is the Italian legislation you're talking about?

this is one of them. I was a bit suprised to find a fair few examples

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7474474.stm

voodooflux
3rd April 2009, 08:43
Interesting (yes, it's another slow day at ClientCo) snippet on the Guardian data blog today showing a Google Maps mashup of MP's travel expenses by distance: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/apr/03/mps-expenses-houseofcommons

The full map is here (http://ouseful.open.ac.uk/maps/mpTravelExpensesMap.html).