• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharepoint, Biztalk, WCF, WPF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharepoint, Biztalk, WCF, WPF

Think I'm gonna need to get stuck into learning some or all of the above (does this tulip never end?) if I can be arsed.

What would the panel recommend as the best way to gen up on this? In the past I've read ebooks, Googled installed acquired versions and played around (and the skills magically appeared on the CV).

Any better ideas? Courses are out as they are a rip off and for permies. But CBT? Real books?

I wouldn't bother with BizTalk. It's not been embraced by the industry in the way I thought it would be. Probably because it's an utter croc.

Do the WCF, WPF and WWF (workflow) things. SharePoint is worth a go too.

Comment

BizTalk / SharePoint / WCF / WF is where I am at the moment. Give's me that warm feeling over you bog standard .Net monkeys.

So, in words of two syllables or less:-

Bugger off, this Gravy train is full!

However, to summarise how I got to where I am currently.

The Apress series of books for BizTalk are a good start. I was lucky, in that I got a contract alongside a mate of mine who was already heavily into BizTalk. The Sharepoint side of things just kind of nicely slots in. Two of us are off to Goa for some Sharepoint training shortly, with the MCTS exam thrown as well. The cost of the training over there is £700 compared to £2500 over here. So when you factor in 400 quid for flights, its still much cheaper, plus a break from the normal routine
      Last edited by Weltchy; 24 March 2009, 09:29.

Comment

I'm an advocate of real books. Personally I find it easier to read from print, but also you're not tied to your PC then - you could read in a cafe or on the sofa.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm an advocate of real books.
          WHS

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Personally I find it easier to read from print, but also you're not tied to your PC then - you could read in a cafe or on the sofa.
          bog
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Generally I have no problem in getting to grips with things, just wondering a) how best to learn and b) how to transform acquired knowledge into experience into £££.

Always room for developers with plenty knowledgeness on the gravy train.

Comment

You might also be able to jump on the train, so to speak, as there is a new release of BizTalk coming shortly, alongside Oslo. Get the right skills in place and with a bit of luck, who knows.

Comment

Take a look at the MCTS self-paced training kits.

Comment

Working...
                X