• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money for old rope

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money for old rope

Contracing buddy of mine has a travel price comparison web site he developed. In his own words "it just ticks along in background" making him money. Now I'm sure a fair few on here have had the same thoughts "if only I could do that", and largely its the idea in the first place that holds us back.

Web space and domain name reselling spring to mind, but everyone and his grandma is doing this. My question is, is this (domian and web space reselling) an avenue worth pursuing, do the profits make it worth it? I'm looking for war stories and success stories alike.

The price comparison idea is interesting, but again how do you find out about the web services you would need to connect to? Google returns nothing so I may be searching using the wrong search string or this information is locked away and I need the key.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Hard question was it?

Comment

i wouldn't say it's money for old rope, designing a nice bells and whistles website is the easy bit. the hard bit is getting people to know about it, getting them to use it, and getting the insurance companies interested.

It's not just about being a techie. IMHO that market (meerkat?) is saturated and you are a couple of years too late.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Hard question was it?
        Yes. Next.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Web space and domain name reselling spring to mind... do the profits make it worth it?
          But with domain names for under a tenner and webspace for US$5 a month, what profit?

Comment

Hard question was it?
            On the basis that you appeared to be saying:
            I have a brilliant money making idea but don't really know how to go about it!

and asking:
            Can you Guys give me free advice on how to "go about it"?

I would say it was an easy question......... and the answer was pretty simple as well.......

Comment

Web space and domain name reselling spring to mind, but everyone and his grandma is doing this. My question is, is this (domian and web space reselling) an avenue worth pursuing, do the profits make it worth it? I'm looking for war stories and success stories alike.
              I tend to offer domains and webspace to my clients as an odd-on to a web design/development package. It makes me a few quid but the margins have to be kept low to stay competitive. A couple of $ can buy you a lot of hosting in the US.

The price comparison idea is interesting, but again how do you find out about the web services you would need to connect to? Google returns nothing so I may be searching using the wrong search string or this information is locked away and I need the key.
              Take a look at the Affiliate Marketing forums (and individual affiliate networks like AffiliateWindow) for more info on this.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                On the basis that you appeared to be saying:
                I have a brilliant money making idea but don't really know how to go about it!

and asking:
                Can you Guys give me free advice on how to "go about it"?

I would say it was an easy question......... and the answer was pretty simple as well.......
                Well that's certainly one take. I thought I was asking much more than that. Let wait and see eh?

Comment

Contracing buddy of mine has a travel price comparison web site he developed. In his own words "it just ticks along in background" making him money. Now I'm sure a fair few on here have had the same thoughts "if only I could do that", and largely its the idea in the first place that holds us back.

I used one of those to find a cheapy flight to Brazil last year. The site flagged up the cheapest flight and I then went onto the Iberia site independently and bettered the comparison site price.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I used one of those to find a cheapy flight to Brazil last year. The site flagged up the cheapest flight and I then went onto the Iberia site independently and bettered the comparison site price.
                    Ahaaaaaah. So there's a niche to write a price comparison site that actually works. See where you're taking this CB. Nice work. Even for a sock puppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X