• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Waffe....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffe....

Why do universities encourage waffle !!

Just had my first assignment back and lost marks because I didn't write the correct number of words. Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !

Originally posted by foritisme View Post

Just had my first assignment back and lost marks because I didn't write the correct number of words. Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !

Just had my first assignment back, which is an important milestone for me, especially in the context of my ongoing work/study life balance, and lost some, not a large number, but a significant number of marks because I didn't write the correct number of words. The word significant is interesting, it can mean a very small value, but one that can just about be detected, or a very large value which is over-weening. Where was I? Oh yes. Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice ! Beats me.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Doesn't bode well, just submitted an assignment asking for 1000 words and finished all the pointless rambling I could in 450.

Comment

Why use a large word when a dimunitive will suffice ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Why do you have to write 200 words on a question when 50 would suffice !
          To prepare you for real life when nobody actually wants a real answer to anything they just want enough obfusication bullshine and jargon twaddle to be able to provide a smoke screen that hides the fact that they don't actually know what they are twaddling on about.... if they make it obscure enough they can appear to be knowlegable because the reader spends so long filtering out the dross that the fact that there is no substance underneath the carp is hidden.

Or (more succinctly)
          Thats Life!!

Comment

The requirement was for 200 words if you only wrote 50 you have not completed the job to the requirements stated.
            If you think you know better than your tutor then why are you doing the course?
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              The requirement was for 200 words if you only wrote 50 you have not completed the job to the requirements stated.
              you are still in a bad mood aren't you ?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Okay, what's the minimum number of letters needed to write a meaningful essay comprising 50 words?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  you are still in a bad mood aren't you ?

Is it that obvious
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

No, I wrote 200 words of waffle when 50 would have conveyed the answer. Do keep up.

Comment

Working...
                    X