• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuart Lee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Lee

The funniest comedian in the UK.

"The one show is like being stuck in a British Rail Buffet car with a talking Toby jug for company, a talking Toby Jug full of piss, makes you nostalgic for the days when regional accents were unacceptable on the BBC"
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

He is good, although not too everyone's taste. I still remember him with Richard Herring on Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ. Brilliant shows but for some reason, never ever repeated by the BBC.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

He's certainly not mainstream, as he pointed out the funniest thing ever on TV, as voted for by the British Public is

"Dell boy falling through the bar, and Trigger pulling a funny face"
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        The funniest comedian in the UK.

"The one show is like being stuck in a British Rail Buffet car with a talking Toby jug for company, a talking Toby Jug full of piss, makes you nostalgic for the days when regional accents were unacceptable on the BBC"
        Really laughed at that one, but fell asleep for the rest of the show (not because it was boring just 'cos I was tired). Second week running I've done that.

Comment

He can be very funny at his best, but also a bit hit and miss. His Delboy sketch yesterday wasn't very funny in the end - he laboured it a bit too much.
          I really enjoyed his book-themed sketch last week.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

He'll never be mainstream because he's too cutting and high brow, the closest thing the UK has ever got to Bill Hicks. His desconstruction of celeb (toilet) books (especially Chris Moyles') was very very funny.

I spoke to him after a live show last year, he was telling me the BBC had promised him a show, but they had done so several times in the last few years, but pulled them, as "stand up comedy wouldn't work on the TV anymore". Said he just wanted to do a Dave Allen type format. Very humble bloke.

Comment

I went to see him on his '41st best stand up ever' tour, a few older members of the audience walked out when they realised he wasn't Jethro.

He was supported by Henning Wehn the 'German comedy ambassador'.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Yeah that's the tour I went to, half the theatre was empty, the rest was 30 and 40 somethings and a few old people who looked liked they'd come in for a warm (Maybe they were expecting Jethro too). On a similar note when he took "This Morning with Richard not Judy" on tour in the 90s, a few oldies turned up expecting to see Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan and left disgusted .

As his mum says..."You're not as Funny as Tom O'Connor, Stu"

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  He'll never be mainstream because he's too cutting and high brow, the closest thing the UK has ever got to Bill Hicks. His desconstruction of celeb (toilet) books (especially Chris Moyles') was very very funny.
                  True. Him and Marcus Brigstocke for me are the 2 best about at the moment. Lee is more maudlin and angry hence less mainstream, Brigstocke is insightful and hilariously cutting with it.
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I quite like Marcus Brigstock too. Can be very funny when he's on The Now Show on Radio 4. My only gripe is when he turns up on crap shows like Hole in the Wall seeking publicity. He may not have a massive profile, but he's much too talented to be on that pile of tulip!
                    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X