• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petition against retrospective legislation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petition against retrospective legislation

We would appreciate your support.

Thank you!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/RepealSection58

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to
    Repeal the retrospective legislation Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Details
    Section 58 retrospectively changed a 1987 Act of Parliament. Taxpayers who relied on the original 1987 Act now unwittingly find themselves having been in breach of the law.

The Chartered Institute of Taxation described Section 58 as “extreme and unjustified”; the Law Society believed it was “wrong in principle”; and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales warned, “it sends out a very damaging signal about the stability of the UK tax system”. Despite fierce criticism from opposition MPs, the Government used its majority to carry it through.

Hundreds of families are facing financial ruin due to this retrospective tax and, to compound the problem, HMRC are also backdating interest charges which could increase the debt by up to 50%.

Several tax planners have started legal proceedings in both the UK and European Courts to challenge Section 58. These cases will drag on for years, and HMRC will be forced to spend vast sums of public money defending the legislation.

Where is the "have you signed" poll?

You can find the option under thread tools

Comment

You don't need a poll - just check out the number by checking out the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
        You don't need a poll - just check out the number by checking out the link.
        Does the link have an andyw option?

Comment

I'm not personally effected - but I think anything "retrospective" is wrong and should be illegal.

so all my posts will have the details in future of the link for the petition.

Comment

I don't think I'm affected, but I have signed anyway.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
              I'm not personally effected - but I think anything "retrospective" is wrong and should be illegal.

so all my posts will have the details in future of the link for the petition.
              Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              I don't think I'm affected, but I have signed anyway.
              Many thanks chaps

Comment

35 signatures in the first business day, not too shabby at all.

Comment

This is an evil and pernicious piece of legislation. I've signed
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    35 signatures in the first business day, not too shabby at all.
                    Has the petition been posted on the PCG forums yet?
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X