• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Market

Surprisingly not dead in the least. 4 pages of jobs at "good rates".

Is this "depression" passing us techies by.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I see no "depression". What I do see is lots of companies taking advantage of the situation to get rid of staff without sending shareholders running for cover though.

And lots of companies going bust who were dead anyway (Woolworths, MFI etc).
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

"good" is a relative term*

also, 4 pages of jobs with 4 pages of people chasing them =
      4 pages of jobs with 6 pages of people chasing them =

*That's not strictly true. "Better" is a relative term. But you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Yes and its probably the same 2 jobs with just about every agent advertising them!

As for 'good rates,' just wait til you are told exactly how much 'good' is!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I agree. I've had around 5 serious enquiries in the last couple of weeks, from the UK & the continent.

I would say business as usual however I believe the economic turn has actually driven up demand for my services.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I don't see any real change in my area, in fact it seems pretty healthy. Jobs are being advertised and although I'm not applying for them I'm getting called up about them after they've been advertised for a few days which means that they can't find people easily enough. I think most contractors in this area are staying put as long as possible, just in case.

In fact a very nice one came through the other day which fitted in with the current one which is only a 3 days a week thingie and this would have filled up the rest. The company sent through a 2 page overview of what was required and one part was 'KO Criteria.) Sadly I didn't have one of the points (SAN with DS8300) which kind of knocked it one the head but when I got back to them the actual proposal was 10 pages long!
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think we can probably discount half of them as being posted by the Barclays Capital imaginary job department.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                also, 4 pages of jobs with 4 pages of people chasing them =
                4 pages of jobs with 6 pages of people chasing them =
                Actually its null and void as long as your not in the bottom 33% of the market.

Comment

My take is that the market is better and has more opportunites than this time last year.

Comment

It might be a sign that the peanut-paid-monkeys who they hired at the recession start have now broken everything, and they are looking for people again who can tell the difference between a server and a screensaver.

We are only boomed when the roles start to pay something worth getting out of bed for.
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X