• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone been to small claims court?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone been to small claims court?

Hi All, apologies for posting a question which doesn't pertain directly to contracting, but I'm not sure where else to turn ....

Has anyone been to small claims court before, and if yes, do you have any recommendations as to how I go about initiating a claim, if I need formal legal representation, what documentation I need to file, with whom, etc ...

I am owed about £2500 from a loft conversion company (surprise, surprise, a dodgy builder in London???) ; I have clear, supporting, independent evidence, but no idea as to what to do next?

Any advise would be appreciated, and again, apologies for posting a non contracting type question.

Cheers,
    Dave

Yes. Took HBOS to court and won!! + interest. Marvellous year, thanks for reminding me.

I realise now all my overdraft charges during my student days were actually a disguised form of saving.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

You can do it online, really easily.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Yes. Took HBOS to court and won!! + interest. Marvellous year, thanks for reminding me.

I realise now all my overdraft charges during my student days were actually a disguised form of saving.
        Did they "no longer wish to be your bankers"?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
          Did they "no longer wish to be your bankers"?
          I did get that hint after they applied competitive interest rate of 0.3% on my current account.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

You can do it online, really easily.
            Submitting online is ok, but if you need to supply supporting documents then the old fashioned way of filling out the form is better.

Very easy to do, no legal knowledge required, as I think I'm right in saying that even if you lose you won't get dumped with the other persons legal costs. If you win they have to pay back your £50 quid.

I submitted one a few years back and it had the desired effect of putting the wind up the estate agency I was in dispute with. They settled before it went to court.

Comment

I used it and the car-supplying company that I was suing paid up just before the case reached court. It only cost me about 70 quid to retrieve 1500 quid.

Comment

Working...
              X