• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOMED: External investors have no confidence in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOMED: External investors have no confidence in Britain

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...npc&refer=home

1. Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England, says there is no more money for further stimulus.
    2. Investors don't think UK plc is a safe bet for the future.

We're effectively bust.
    Last edited by sasguru; 26 March 2009, 10:28.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Was discussed yesterday as it is yesterday's news. This was hardly a surprise after King's little observation
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

. Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England, says there is no more money for further stimulus.
      2. Investors don't think UK plc is a safe bet for the future.

We're effectively bust.

I could lend the Bank of England a fiver if theyre stuck.

Mind you - I will need it back by Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Was discussed yesterday as it is yesterday's news. This was hardly a surprise after King's little observation
        So now Gordon will blame Mervyn for telling people the truth.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          So now Gordon will blame Mervyn for telling people the truth.
          No, the point is that when the governor of the BOE issues a statement that basically says the head of the UK government is about to screw up, of course investors are going to run for the hills.

The really interesting debate is why King would issue such a highly political statement just when Brown is off trying to get support for his ideas. If this doesn't show that King and Brown hate each other, I don't know what does. And whatever way you cut it, that is not good.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It's OK they can always increase taxation some more - we're only at 40% so there's plenty more capacity before it hits 100%

Comment

The really interesting debate is why King would issue such a highly political statement just when Brown is off trying to get support for his ideas. If this doesn't show that King and Brown hate each other, I don't know what does. And whatever way you cut it, that is not good.
              Maybe Mervyn is basically a decent chappy with some integrity who wants to prevent the UK overstretching itself and going bust. Maybe he's a little late with his warnings, but perhaps he's trying to take some responsibility where he sees that the government are planning something reckless.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Maybe Mervyn is basically a decent chappy with some integrity who wants to prevent the UK overstretching itself and going bust. Maybe he's a little late with his warnings, but perhaps he's trying to take some responsibility where he sees that the government are planning something reckless.
                Merv was called to Buckingham Palace yesterday. I'm guessing it was to tell him to get back in his box.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Agreed - but think about it. He could have easily issued this statement when Brown announced the intention for a second "stimulus", but he waited until now, when it would cause the most political damage, and when Brown was out of the country and therefore putting out the flames would be more difficult (especially with that numpty Harman holding the fort).

Don't get me wrong...I am not criticising King. I think it was an exceptionally well played and highly damaging move.

Comment

Agreed - but think about it. He could have easily issued this statement when Brown announced the intention for a second "stimulus", but he waited until now, when it would cause the most political damage, and when Brown was out of the country and therefore putting out the flames would be more difficult (especially with that numpty Harman holding the fort).

Don't get me wrong...I am not criticising King. I think it was an exceptionally well played and highly damaging move.
                    King strikes me as one of the old-school, essentially decent, blokes. No wonder he doesn't like this bunch of numpties.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X