• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wheels of Justice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wheels of Justice

Well, having been summoned for jury service at great inconvenience to myself, I've now spent three days sitting in the waiting room twiddling my thumbs and haven't seen hide nor hair of any villains. The fcukers keep changing their pleas to guilty just as the trial is about to start.

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Well, having been summoned for jury service at great inconvenience to myself, I've now spent three days sitting in the waiting room twiddling my thumbs and haven't seen hide nor hair of any villains. The fcukers keep changing their pleas to guilty just as the trial is about to start.
    My advice is give them a fair trial ... then hang them.

Comment

Sitting around doing nothing all day at great public expense? Sounds like my job! Welcome, my friend, to the world of government contracting

But seriously, it's much better you spend your time reading a good book in a waiting room than filling your pants in front of some gangsta from Catford.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        My advice is give them a fair trial ... then hang them.
        You should know by now, Alf, "hanging's too good for 'em."

Comment

Originally posted by voron
          Sitting around doing nothing all day at great public expense? Sounds like my job! Welcome, my friend, to the world of government contracting

But seriously, it's much better you spend your time reading a good book in a waiting room than filling your pants in front of some gangsta from Catford.
          Well, if you count £5/day subsistence money as great expense, maybe! That fiver is non-transferable and has to be spent in the provided canteen - today's gourmet delight was a vegetable spring roll dripping excess fat, with chips and beans. Jamie Oliver needs to forget sorting school kids out who only moan about it anyway and get onto sorting jurors' food out. Would you want someone trying to take in your defence who's just been fed a plate of fat, salt and sugar?

You are, of course, right, Voron. I would indeed rather spend two weeks ploughing through my stack of books I've not read yet than end up having to flee the country after receiving Yardie death threats for not producing "the right verdict".

Comment

You are, of course, right, Voron. I would indeed rather spend two weeks ploughing through my stack of books I've not read yet than end up having to flee the country after receiving Yardie death threats for not producing "the right verdict".
            Cheer up it could just be a recruitment consultant up on charges for fraud. Think how much fun you'll have deciding the guilty plea before the evidence is presented.

Comment

Well, if you count £5/day subsistence money as great expense, maybe! That fiver is non-transferable and has to be spent in the provided canteen - today's gourmet delight was a vegetable spring roll dripping excess fat, with chips and beans. Jamie Oliver needs to forget sorting school kids out who only moan about it anyway and get onto sorting jurors' food out. Would you want someone trying to take in your defence who's just been fed a plate of fat, salt and sugar?
              £5 p/d? That would be a rate increase for me

You're right about the food. What sort of concentration do they expect jurors to exhibit if they feed them crap? I expect they are more concerned with their exploding stomachs than the trial.

Comment

Look on the bright side, you could get something interesting. Never been on jury service myself (I am exempt as my electoral record shows me being over 70 years old for some reason, I decided not to correct them) but my father got a really intersting case of a farmworker accused of buggering his pigs.(Why is that a crime, eh? eh?)

He was a fearful religious prude and for decades afterwards we could make him go all red and stammering "Weren't you on jury service dad? what sort of cases did you get?"
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A really interesting case would be a pig in the dock accused of buggering a farmer.

Comment

Performing a Vital Public Service

Well, I've now spent all week sat in the waiting room reading a book. It's like going on a long haul flight every day (except with worse food) and I'm absolutely cream crackered when I get home. Apparently they need me next week, presumably in the same way they "needed" me this week (i.e. to keep one of the chairs in the waiting room warm).

Mind you, the jury manager has absolutely massive knockers so it's not all a complete waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X