• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop from US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop from US

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a laptop from american website. Im interested in HP TouchSmart which hasnt been launched here yet. Can i order online from US and get it delivered here.

Has anyone did that before ?

Customs will have a field day. Kerrrrrching!

Also, the power adapter might not work, there won't be a £ sign on the keyboard and other surprises might be instore (like not wanting to play UK DVD's).

Comment

ahh right....its a shame....thanks anyways

Comment

Originally posted by denver2k View Post
        Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a laptop from american website. Im interested in HP TouchSmart which hasnt been launched here yet. Can i order online from US and get it delivered here.

Has anyone did that before ?
        yep do remember to grease up when you go to the post office to collect it.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah, import duty is > 30% IIRC. Then it will probably get lost in the post or smashed to pieces.

Comment

I've never done this, but I believe it is possible to get round this by getting a mate out there to send it to you...they need to remove it from the packaging and send it as either a gift, or with some cover note saying words to the effect of "here's your XXX that you accidentally left behind".

I wouldn't recommend any such behaviour of course.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How much does it cost to get a mate out there?

Comment

I have some experience of exporting/importing. The above could work, but also as likely to get slapped with import duty and VAT or turn up knackered.
                I'd wait until it becomes available here.

Comment

I've had a few imported electrical goods from the US and I just get the sender to write "returned as D.O.A" on the package, never had any problems
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                  X