• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time in jail to be slashed for prisoners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time in jail to be slashed for prisoners

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...823391,00.html

"THOUSANDS of prisoners will be released early in an attempt to ease prison overcrowding, under plans approved by Charles Clarke. ",

Justice.

Milan.

jails

seems that the uk police state has no more place in its jails

Comment

why have jails ?

aren't jails a bit old fashioned a bit dickensien ?

is there really a place in society for jails in the year 2005 ?

just think of all the prison sites and how much Gordon could raise if they were all sold for building land...

Milan.

Comment

This is the bit I like

"Half the 70,000 prisoners sentenced each year to less than four years in jail for offences such as burglary, fraud and theft are estimated to be eligible for the scheme. Sex and violent offenders and fine-defaulters are not eligible."

So you break into somebody’s house, nick their stuff, ransack the place and cause distress to the homeowner, but you are eligible for early release. But if you fail to pay a fine then you have to serve all your time with the muggers and sex cases.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It's only "fair"

Comment

It's always been the case that denying the state what they deem to be theirs carries harsh punishment, be it tax evasion or treason.

Personally, I'd be far more concerned about convicted burglars wandering the streets than I would granny Smith who returned her library books late.

Comment

Here's a radical solution..........

Why don't we try to reduce the prison population by actually making sure crime doesn't pay.Some suggestions:
              1. There's a lot of cars broken into around our way. I think a major factor is the fact that the Police patrols in our area tend to consist of a patrol car driving down the street a couple of times a day on the way to McDonalds.The prospect of some scroat legging it around the corner and bumping into a policeman ON THE BEAT might just make them think twice.

2. When said scroat is caught, try handing out a lengthy prison sentence instead of a three week safari in Kenya.

3. The erection of large warning signs on your garden gate that anybody, except the milkman and the postman, calling without an appointment renders them likely to fall victim to the defence measures that you have installed. It would then be legal to dig bear pits, wire door handles to the mains etc
              Boom boom boom boom
              A-haw haw haw haw
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
              Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Another radical idea...

How about improving the fabric of society so that individuals are less likely to turn to crime in the first place?
                How about standards and discipline introduced in schools. How about supporting normal people who tell kids off if they drop litter or do something naughty in public. How about the national media promoting standards as opposed to trash. How about parents taking responsibility for their children and raising them to understand right from wrong and to be polite.

Comment

Right & wrong are only constructs. One has to realise that in a multicultural society a New Guinea headhunter is just as entitled to his way of life as anyone else.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    why have jails ?

aren't jails a bit old fashioned a bit dickensien ?

is there really a place in society for jails in the year 2005 ?

just think of all the prison sites and how much Gordon could raise if they were all sold for building land...

Milan.
                    Why indeed? I say bring back hulks - Surely they could fit a few fans and partition walls into some old oil tanker and pack a few thousand prisoners into that?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X