• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eric Pickles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Pickles

Question Time. BBC. Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear. I think that adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "shooting yourself in the foot"!

And the name "jabba-the-hutt" kinda pops in there
    Last edited by PM-Junkie; 26 March 2009, 23:41.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

I saw that too. He claims for a London house when he only lives 37 miles away from Parliament. He also says that to get to Parliament for 9:30am he would need to leave home at 5:30am. Seems highly unlikely to me. He came across as exactly the sort of slimy scumbag that is winding up the public at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      I saw that too. He claims for a London house when he only lives 37 miles away from Parliament. He also says that to get to Parliament for 9:30am he would need to leave home at 5:30am. Seems highly unlikely to me. He came across as exactly the sort of slimy scumbag that is winding up the public at the moment.
      He could use a bicycle and still have time to spare - not that he looks like he's used a bike for some time

It really was cringeworthy. What irked me was that he genuinely seemed to think he was so special and that the normal rules of "doing a job" just simply didn't apply to him.

And to think this is the chairman of the Tory party

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Question Time. BBC. Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear. I think that adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "shooting yourself in the foot"!

And the name "jabba-the-hutt" kinda pops in there
        He wasn't good, it doesn't do a lot for the Conservative party to field low calibre MPs like him on TV. He was the weakest link there apart from for the funeral pyre answer which was well reasoned, unlike the others who were just pandering to be PC for minority voters.

Winner was like a pantomime populist. And Jugears is just a bitter old tit.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
          it doesn't do a lot for the Conservative party to field low calibre MPs like him on TV.
          any Tory MP at all

Comment

He was my MP (and still is, technically). In my dealings with him, I found him ok as a person. Had a rep. for being a good constituency MP.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Blimey, Charles Clarke had the knives out last nite didnt he.

Scathing criticism of his Labour pals on a number of responses! DOn't think he got a single round of applause either!

Poor Pickles, totally shot himself in the foot. He is supposed to be known in Westminister as an amiable regular bloke kinda guy, really didnt show yesterday.

Lib Dem dude came out of that whole debate head and shoulders above the rest of the Panel.

Comment

His and Pickles responses to the audiences assumption of corruption was derisible. IMHO if they carry on with such arrogance and distain for the public (who they are supposed to be servants of) they could get a sharp reminder of the power of public opinion. I can see a day coming when these guys could get physically attacked by a mob.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  His and Pickles responses to the audiences assumption of corruption was derisible. IMHO if they carry on with such arrogance and distain for the public (who they are supposed to be servants of) they could get a sharp reminder of the power of public opinion. I can see a day coming when these guys could get physically attacked by a mob.

Derisible?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Fair enough debates in parliament can last until late and a conscientous MP (are there any of those?) from outside London would definitely need a London pad.
                    So the government should buy properties for MPs outside London, but these should be tied to the constituency. Would be cheaper than allowing MPs to claim expenses for London pads indefinitely.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X