• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Science Museum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science Museum

When I was younger I used to love going to the Science Museum in Kensington especially the childrens section in the basement. so much so that I used to go at least once a month, even as I grew older. The last time I went it had changed greatly and the childrens section was totally different (IIRC, the submarine periscope had even gone.) However a new exhibition has started which means it looks like a trip to the UK is on the cards. Bloody excellent.

Double bloody excellent
    Last edited by darmstadt; 27 March 2009, 09:03.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

What a wonderful thing that entry (to most of the) museum is free. A very educational place to hangout for the homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      What a wonderful thing that entry (to most of the) museum is free. A very educational place to hangout for the homeless.
      I believe that any museum or gallery should be free, because they work best if you can take any opportunity to drop in, rather than just paying for a ticket and then trying to see the whole thing in one shot, never to return.

It is not for the money: personally I don't mind paying for unlimited visits but if it is pay per visit then I won't make many. The best example of that I found was when I had a contract just across the road from the Louvre. I got an annual season ticket, and went in every lunchtime for 20 minutes or so, and generally spent it in front of a single work. One visit, one painting. That is the way to get the best out of a museum.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        When I was younger I used to love going to the Science Museum in Kensington especially the childrens section in the basement. so much so that I used to go at least once a month, even as I grew older. The last time I went it had changed greatly and the childrens section was totally different (IIRC, the submarine periscope had even gone.) However a new exhibition has started which means it looks like a trip to the UK is on the cards. Bloody excellent.

Double bloody excellent
        I'm taking the kids there in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Looks really good.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Pogle Jnr is mad keen to go to the science museum and I'm rather keen to take her - I was going to over the Easter break, but have decided I spend enough time away from home at the mo - have pencilled it in for next half term.
          We go to the museums in Manchester quite a bit and they always have something special on for kids, we went to a great bug handling session at the Manchester Museum recently- giant millipedes, stick insects etc.. great fun
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Pogle Jnr is mad keen to go to the science museum and I'm rather keen to take her - I was going to over the Easter break, but have decided I spend enough time away from home at the mo - have pencilled it in for next half term.
            We go to the museums in Manchester quite a bit and they always have something special on for kids, we went to a great bug handling session at the Manchester Museum recently- giant millipedes, stick insects etc.. great fun
            If at all possible, try and take her during term time. The museums get really busy in the holidays and particularly so during half term.

Comment

Before we left the UK, my son went along with the cub scouts and spent the night there. I couldn't go with them that time, though I did help out when they spent the night at the secret nuclear bunker near Brentwood. That was a spooky place.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                If at all possible, try and take her during term time. The museums get really busy in the holidays and particularly so during half term.
                She wouldn't let me take her out of school for a day - she got a prize last year for 100% attendance and she wants to get it again this year!

Also the headmistress has any parents who take children away during term time publically flogged...

... OK i made that last bit up
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  If homeless people spend their days perusing the exhibits of the Science Museum and engaging their minds in the great questions of science they might turn out to be rather better at running large corporations, banks and government departments than the current bunch of pseudo-educated delusionals heading such organisations.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

My daughter loves the Art Gallary in Birmingham although son finds that one a little boaring. She is happy to spend several hours just looking around especially at the egyptian section, must be all those dead cats or something.

However, it is a shame we no longer have the Science Musuem but they both love the 'Think Tank' which is aimed at the young ones.
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                    X