• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting ooop North

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting ooop North

And noticed people say the word "mithered" when they mean bothered. I thought this was a Northern expression but am told by one of my learned Northern colleagues it is a word in the OED, and indeed it is in the online version, but one of my colleagues has a slightly dusty copy of the OED and it is not in there. So to me its one of those new words that got spat into the dictionary just because enough people made a fuss.

Such as "Roadrage" and "Credit crunch"

Is mithered a word?

Not darn sarf its not.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Aye up, stop mithering me you nesh bstard and don't e-mither me either!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Aweee n boil yer heeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Aweee n boil yer heeed!
        Did you just sit on your keyboard?

HTH

Comment

The amount of sense you make is inversely proportional to the distance from Buck Pal. After all it is the Queens English.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Did you just sit on your keyboard?

HTH
            Face Bovver'd??

Comment

And noticed people say the word "mithered" when they mean bothered. I thought this was a Northern expression but am told by one of my learned Northern colleagues it is a word in the OED, and indeed it is in the online version, but one of my colleagues has a slightly dusty copy of the OED and it is not in there. So to me its one of those new words that got spat into the dictionary just because enough people made a fuss.

Such as "Roadrage" and "Credit crunch"

Is mithered a word?

Not darn sarf its not.
              I never got it either.... but i say it now.

And Nesh.... nesh WTF is nesh????

Also Barm cake??? For the love of God, it's a bread roll.

Oh and northerners you can keep your chips and gravy... yeeeuuuuukkkk!

But.... I still love Manchester - even if they do speak funny!!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

The amount of sense you make is inversely proportional to the distance from Buck Pal. After all it is the Queens English.
                No not Buckingham Palace, it wasn't built when it was invented. The Queens English is an invention from the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. At her court she didn't like regional accents and so made people speak in "The Queens English" only Walter Raleigh was allowed to speak in his South Westerly tones.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

A Nesh person.. is a poofter or lady who feels the cold. It's quite a localised word, even Mancs wouldn't know it.

Chips and Gravy, mmm, chips and curry sauce is better though, and we call a Barm a Batch.

As peter Kaye puts it.. do you not serve anything moist in your chippies?
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 March 2009, 15:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    A Nesh person.. is a poofter or lady who feels the cold. It's quite a localised word, even Mancs wouldn't know it.
                    My ex was from Stockport... he said it all the time!!
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X