• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ASP.Net Page Templating with .Net 1.1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASP.Net Page Templating with .Net 1.1

While playing with .Net 2 and MasterPages is all very well, at the moment all the work is in .Net 1.1...

Most places ive worked in have used a combination of Custom Controls and one or more Base Pages to provide common functionality, while using CSS to provide a degree of customisation in terms of look and feel...

But its always been a bit cludgy, with no real visual representation of how the generated page will really appear.

Ive seen several implementations of MasterPages for .Net 1.1 including efforts from Micorosofts own ASP.Net team and Paul Wilsons enhancements to that. Most others just use a hierarchy of base pages and placeholders.

The most flexible seems to be Paul Wilsons approach where you define a single MasterPage that handles rendering of controls and text, have a UserControl that contains Regions where you define layout and CSS style, and a normal ASP.Net page that specifies the content for those Regions (which are automatically merged by the MasterPage) to handle presentation, while still allowing you to inherit from a specific BasePage that contains commmon functionality such as error logging, etc. Designers can fiddle with layout and the CSS while Developers can work on Presentation and Business logic etc.

Just wondered if anyone else has used any successful methodologies for creating genuinely flexible page layouts and common functionality with the current implementation of ASP.Net...
    Vieze Oude Man

nice one Mack.

You've seen the light, .Net it's the future.

Get on that <toot><toot> .Net NHS gravy train and
    you'll be laughing.

Milan.

Comment

Forget about dotnet, use Cocoon from the Apache project. Pretty flexible last time I used it, and none of this Microsoft nonsense: pure Java. Maybe there is a dotnet rewrite.

Comment

Sadly I cannot forget about .Net - its earnt me too much money and it looks like only getting better... another surge next spring when people start to properly adopt .Net 2....
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Right,

having looked at quite a few options (although I am sure there are others)

this

looks to be the simplest method... however...

this

Is far more professional and with a bit of development could prove really quite useful...
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

good one

Yep, that is the best of the bunch, using that library for my current project and it rocks. Bit tricky if you define lots of regions within your template pages and if you have multiple user controls and wire up multiple delegates from your aspx's.......
            whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

We developed a system which is essentially a copy of the Master template functionality.... a CustomControl which extracts the controls from your page and places them in placeholders on the master page. We also extended this slightly by also allowing skins, allowing you to create multiple layouts, including all images and stylesheets and put them in different folders... nice

Comment

To be honest Im happy with what I have now for .Net 1.1 .... CSS and base pages, with custom controls.

Next year hopefully well start using .Net 2.x, and have proper design time support for inheriting from a master page. I dont think its worth investing too much more time in .Net 1.1 (after 3 years) as a contractor - after all, we quite often need to surf the technology wave to be considered valuable....
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Master Pages....

...if you used SAP then it'd be easy peasy.

Forget .NET and see the light, SAP is the future.

Get on that <toot><toot> SAP gravy train and you'll be laughing.

Joe.
                  Last edited by Joe Black; 16 November 2005, 10:36.

Comment

HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE .NET!

Comment

Working...
                    X