• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to fix the monarchy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix the monarchy

Don't open it to catholics. Abolish it.

I dont think we are that bothered about getting in anyway.

Comment

I'd rather have a monarchy than a presidential system.

With the quality of our politicians would you really want to see the likes of Blair, Brown, Mandelson, or Smith as the Head of State?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

With the quality of our politicians would you really want to see the likes of Blair, Brown, Mandelson, or Smith as the Head of State?
        No. Strange idea, propose a number of bad candidates for president, to prove that the best choice is not to have a president.

Well, maybe you're right. Let's not have a monarch, and not have a president either. To be precise, let there be NO Head of State.

Comment

They may have their faults but at least they are not the genetic result of centuries of inbreeding. No wonder the royalty are as thick as mince, there is a reason why you are not allowed to humps your cousins and they are a reminder of that.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            No. Strange idea, propose a number of bad candidates for president, to prove that the best choice is not to have a president.

Well, maybe you're right. Let's not have a monarch, and not have a president either. To be precise, let there be NO Head of State.
            Feel free to suggest a leading politician (unknowns wouldn't ever be put forwards for election) who would be worth electing into executive power.

I'd rather have an ultimate check on the Government by an executive than do without one. At least theoretically the Monarch can rein in a Government by refusing assent.

(Edit spelling failure)
            Last edited by TykeMerc; 29 March 2009, 13:32.

Comment

Feel free to suggest a leading politician (unknowns wouldn't ever be put forwards for election) who would be worth electing into executive power.

I'd rather have an ultimate check on the Government by an executive than do without one. At least theoretically the Monarch can reign in a Government by refusing assent.
              I'd rather feel free not to. Not to suggest either a leading politician who would be worth electing, or a hereditary monarch who would be worth being subject to.

A reigning monarch could rein in a government, but this is in effect saying that you trust someone with absolute power. I don't, ever.

I regard the people as sovereign, not the monarch. But in any case you are not describing sovereignty, merely a mechanism for exercising it. It seems a little odd to choose a system of government based on the fact that you have a simple prescription for the method of exercising absolute power (i.e. HM Queen sends uppity Govt packing if she feels like it)

Comment

It's quite a giggle when you think about it though...the biggest recession in living memory, a major banking meltdown - so what do these idiot politicians spend time doing? Of course - the monarchy is an integral part of the problem so they must immediately route out any perceived discrimination. That'll fix the banks and get the economy going.

You really couldn't make it up.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  It's quite a giggle when you think about it though...the biggest recession in living memory, a major banking meltdown - so what do these idiot politicians spend time doing? Of course - the monarchy is an integral part of the problem so they must immediately route out any perceived discrimination. That'll fix the banks and get the economy going.

You really couldn't make it up.
                  And guess what? Immediately HM QEII invites the Gov of the Bank to Buck House for a cuppa, for the first time in history. Consider your wrist slapped, Mr Brown

Comment

Ok chaps, how do you square the defender of the faith in England with Catholisism?

You can't.

My other half is a (reasonably)devout catholic. I'm a protestant by birth but a strong believer in the old testament by choice. However we're both lucky in the fact that we're tolerant of each others beliefs.

You can't have a monarch of this country who is a Catholic without abolishing the Church of England overnight.

The dictionary definition of Catholic is "Universal". Guess what, we're not!
                    Last edited by Churchill; 29 March 2009, 18:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X