• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Health and Safety paramount?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Health and Safety paramount?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7971246.stm

Police have been criticised by neighbours for preventing them from attempting a rescue before the Fire Brigade arrived, for their own safety. Not advising against, but preventing by force.

Do the police have any right to prevent someone trying something brave but dangerous? If so, from where comes this right?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/7971246.stm

Police have been criticised by neighbours for preventing them from attempting a rescue before the Fire Brigade arrived, for their own safety. Not advising against, but preventing by force.

Do the police have any right to prevent someone trying something brave but dangerous? If so, from where comes this right?
    Not seen any mention of this from your linky...

Comment

If I was a fireman, I'd rather be entering a burning building looking for 3 people, rather than 3 people plus a couple of other's who'd entered the house on a rescue mission.

I'm not sure if I think they have a right to stop people entering the building, but I think they have a responsability to make the scene as safe as possible for the emergency services, which would mean keeping the number of people at risk to a minimum.
      If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Not seen any mention of this from your linky...
        No, that's on the discussion on Jeremy Vine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
          If I was a fireman, I'd rather be entering a burning building looking for 3 people, rather than 3 people plus a couple of other's who'd entered the house on a rescue mission.

I'm not sure if I think they have a right to stop people entering the building, but I think they have a responsability to make the scene as safe as possible for the emergency services, which would mean keeping the number of people at risk to a minimum.
          I understand why they would want to do so. My question is whether they have a right to stop people.

Comment

There was a fireman on the radio a few weeks ago and he was emphasising the importance of having a plan should there be a fire in your home, he said it was a good idea to get the kids involved and even let them decide the best plan of action if it were appropriate as kids tend to hide in wardrobes or under beds etc if they don’t know what to do.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              There was a fireman on the radio a few weeks ago and he was emphasising the importance of having a plan should there be a fire in your home, he said it was a good idea to get the kids involved and even let them decide the best plan of action if it were appropriate as kids tend to hide in wardrobes or under beds etc if they don’t know what to do.
              I attended one of my old clientco's SHE sessions which was run by a Fireman, he discussed fire evac plans at home, it made perfect sense and I implemented his suggestions.
              That's reminded me I need a new battery for my smoke alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Everybody in my family knew how to get down from a first floor window with as few injuries as possible. I remember being taught this from an early age.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I'm sure that the police are tasked with saving people even if it is from themselves!

Like talking down potential suiciders, etc.
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                    I'm sure that the police are tasked with saving people even if it is from themselves!

Like talking down potential suiciders, etc.
                    My question remains, because nobody has attempted to answer it: do the police have a right to prevent people doing something dangerous? They may be tasked with saving people, they may have a duty to try, etc, but do they have a right to prevent people doing something they assess as dangerous by force?

TBH I am disappointed that seemingly no-one even understands the question. It is no wonder that liberty is withering in this country.

Comment

Working...
                    X