• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment business/employment agency - whats the difference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment business/employment agency - whats the difference?

Does anyone know the differenence between employment business and an employment agency.

How do they differ in their operations and do they affect the contractor in any way? Are some agencies acting on behalf of other agencies?

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
    Does anyone know the differenence between employment business and an employment agency.

How do they differ in their operations and do they affect the contractor in any way? Are some agencies acting on behalf of other agencies?
    There's no difference that I'm aware of.

Some of the Agencies are part of larger groups and it's not unknown for the supply chain to have more than one agent involved in the placement of a candidate especially in niche skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post

Section 14 of the EAA regulations is the pertinent piece of legislation.

It's to do with the way the pimp represents you. Are you opted in or out of the EAA regs? If opted in (default) then the agency is obliged to pay you even if ClientCo aren't payin and you are being represented by them as an employment business. This has some (but not much) bearing on IR35 status. If you are opted out (you have to do this before being represented) then the pimp is acting as an employment agency and you have no protections in place (slightly more IR35 proof).
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I think you will find that there is no difference IR35-wise on whether you are opted in, or out or shake it all about.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
          in, or out or shake it all about.
          Sshhhh, careful. That's sectist. Or something. Allegedly.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
            I think you will find that there is no difference IR35-wise on whether you are opted in, or out or shake it all about.

Mailman
            And I think you'll find you are wrong.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X