• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fish and chips!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish and chips!

Why are fish and chips so sh1t in this country?

What is it about cod you poms find so appealing? After all the fish has the taste of deep fried water!

Or is this just another example of something you poms invented, only for the colonies to take to the next level (sorta like rugger and cricket)

Mailman

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Why are fish and chips so tulip in this country?

What is it about cod you poms find so appealing? After all the fish has the taste of deep fried water!

Or is this just another example of something you poms invented, only for the colonies to take to the next level (sorta like rugger and cricket)

Mailman
    invading Kiwis

English people

Haddock in Scotland, thank you. And skinned, please.

And none of your Hoki Cokey.

Comment

You'll be darn Sarf then where the immigrants run the take-aways.

Get thee sen oop North, where it's grim, and thee'll have a reet gradely chip supper, lad. Nae skin. Nae bones. And mushy peas. Ee, grand!
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

surely its "fush and chups" if you're a Kiwi -
        The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Ummm, fried battered cod was brought to the UK and the Netherlands by Portuguese Sephardi jews fleeing oppression and expulsion in the 15th century. The earliest known reference to chips is in the Spanish occupied Netherlands in the 17th century; it was there, in the low countries, that the two were then combined to make the dish we now know as ‘fish and chips’. So it isn't a 'pommy' invention at all.

By the way, I like cod, but I don't like chips.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I don't like chips.
            That'll be the mayonnaise.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              You'll be darn Sarf then where the immigrants run the take-aways.

Get thee sen oop North, where it's grim, and thee'll have a reet gradely chip supper, lad. Nae skin. Nae bones. And mushy peas. Ee, grand!
              And make sure the lass serving you has arms thicker than your thighs, anything less and they just lack the experience to run a deep fryer rigti like.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                Why are fish and chips so tulip in this country?

Mailman
                Probably because you're eating them in London, rather than at the seaside, where the fish is fresh.

Though the best fish and chips in the world was at "Barbara's Kiwi Connection" at Quy Nhon, Vietnam. Oh...I see.

point taken
                Last edited by NotAllThere; 30 March 2009, 15:48.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm a Londoner and prefer saveloy and chips, but I've found that when I've been away in places like Swansea before they don't know what a saveloy is!?
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                    I'm a Londoner and prefer saveloy and chips, but I've found that when I've been away in places like Swansea before they don't know what a saveloy is!?
                    anywhere else

Comment

Working...
                    X