• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fiddling expenses and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiddling expenses and IR35

If you were the government would you employ someone who you'd shafted for IR35 etc. to organise your expenses? There again, a bunch of professional gob-tulipes wouldn't see the irony.

Well, it made me laugh.

Link to follow when it finally gets into the papers...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

If the persons involved are family or friends then of course a politician would grant them the work.

Is this not how the system works?
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      If the persons involved are family or friends then of course a politician would grant them the work.

Is this not how the system works?
      There's a system?
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
        There's a system?
        yes, and a principle - I believe it is called Nepotism
        "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Townsend in Up the Organization recommended avoiding any hint of nepotism like the plague. As he said, even if your family member happens genuinely to be the best person for the job, you should never hire them, because the suspicion of nepotism will poison other people's attitude towards you.

MPs should be forbidden to hire their spouses or children as assistants, notwithstanding the convenience factor of always having them around. It is more important that we know that they are not corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            ....MPs should be forbidden to hire their spouses or children as assistants.....
            ???? And small business men (eg IT Contractors running a company) should (also) be forbidden from employing wives etc - presumably ????

That disagreement out of the way - I don't know any contractors who play quite so fast and loose with the "spirit" of the rules as MPs

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              ???? And small business men (eg IT Contractors running a company) should (also) be forbidden from employing wives etc - presumably ????
              No: there is a difference. MPs are responsible to us. They therefore owe it to us to demonstrate that they are above suspicion.

MPs work for us. Small business people work only for themselves.

Comment

I am going to write some new rules for my company so that I can claim for a second home if I have to work more that 35 miles from home. If Eric Pickles can, then I think I should be able to as well.

What amazes me is how MPs can bypass the IR with these rules. Surely, they should be investigated as any other person in the country would be?

Comment

In China they would be executed for fraud !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I am going to write some new rules for my company so that I can claim for a second home if I have to work more that 35 miles from home. If Eric Pickles can, then I think I should be able to as well.

What amazes me is how MPs can bypass the IR with these rules. Surely, they should be investigated as any other person in the country would be?
                    Who are you going to claim the money from? We're not talking about tax deductible expenses from your own company here... we're talking about fully expensed from your own country!!
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X