• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ambitious women

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambitious women

Ok so this is a thread for all of you that have worked with real Ice Maidens. I have had a couple of gigs now where a woman who is overly ambitious is in power. I had a female agent who I spoke to about this gig, and just how unpleasant it was working there. In her own words "This programme manager, not a woman is it?" When I afirmed there was a sigh of understanding from the agent.

The gig I am on now, there is a woman project manager that has just been given more status. She is having difficulty coping with the elevation of her role and is getting peoples backs up.

Has anyone else got any similar stories?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I have certainly had issues with a few ambitious men. The issue is the ambition and being promoted beyond one's intelligence. not being a woman.

I hope you are not a sexist?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I have certainly had issues with a few ambitious men. The issue is the ambition and being promoted beyond one's intelligence. not being a woman.

I hope you are not a sexist?
      Dude, you played the sexist card way too soon. Shame on you. At least give me enough rope. No not sexist. Please re-read the OP. You SHOULD notice that the person being allegedly "sexist" was a woman agent, who said "This programme manager, not a woman is it?". It suprised me is all. I wondered if there was some global understanding of overly ambitious women in the workplace, or if it wasn't gender specific and either sex (sects?) was capable of such all round knobbery.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Dude, you played the sexist card way too soon. Shame on you. At least give me enough rope. No not sexist. Please re-read the OP. You SHOULD notice that the person being allegedly "sexist" was a woman agent, who said "This programme manager, not a woman is it?". It suprised me is all. I wondered if there was some global understanding of overly ambitious women in the workplace, or if it wasn't gender specific and either sex (sects?) was capable of such all round knobbery.
        JUst checking.......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          JUst checking.......
          No, thanks really. At least now we've got that out of the way no one can call me that.

Comment

As that is out of the way I will answer the question. I have worked with some very good and very bad managers. Probably similar proportion of male/female.

One thing I have seen is that women do not like employing other women : it seems men are far easier to manipulate.

In a similar vein I worked for a chap who came from South America. He had a team of 8. One of my colleagues came from India. When I left he recruited to replace me and found a very good chap. But he was not recruited as he was not white so the manager did not want to be seen to be recruiting a "black enclave"(his words)"!!!! I find that extremely upsetting.....

Comment

I hate working for women - they are bitches and I have no doubt my lot think I have my moments too
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I have found overly ambitious junior people just as bad. There have been a number of times when someone has attempted to make me look bad in order to gain the upper hand.
                Originally posted by cailin maith
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  I hate working for women - they are bitches and I have no doubt my lot think I have my moments too
                  I'm glad you've said that. It saves me from being accused of sexism.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    I'm glad you've said that. It saves me from being accused of sexism.
                    Don't worry, I think you'd find most women hate working for other women!! It's shameful but it's a very bitchy atmosphere when it's just girls.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X