• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Homoeopathy on the NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homoeopathy on the NHS

<BEGIN RANT>
    FSM jnr went to doctors yesterday with a mild ear ache. The Dr proscribed some homoeopathy tablets.

I don't mind if idiots want to go to a special clinic and pay lots of money for pseudo science, but don't waste the tax payers money proscribing it on the NHS.

I also wouldn't have minded if the Dr has said "There is nothing wrong with FSM jnr, just buy a packet of sweets to make her feel good."

Proscribing something that has no scientifically proven results is dishonest.
    <END RANT>
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

I agree. Homeopathy is mumbo-jumbo and should have no place in modern medicine. Find another GP and question him on his beliefs in quackery.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Said Dr was probably on a good spiv from the drug rep. Cant really blame him if its a round at the belfry on offer. Im sure you'd do the same.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Before you diss all homoeopathic cures, I suggest you do a little research into the active ingredient(s) of a few common drugs. You may be a little surprised at the alternative sources of those active ingredients.

Bear in mind that the FDA has the US by the short an curlies to the extent that a drug company can argue that it is an offence to say that anything can cure an ailment apart from a drug. It's less of a problem here...but there is still a tendency for GPs just to prescribe a pill when it isn't necessary.

Hopefully we'll never reach the stage it's reached in the US where people can get a pill for "shyness" - but having worked at a pharmaceutical company and seen the underhand marketing practices they use, and the "risk analysis" they perform on drugs, I don't trust them.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Did it cure FSM Jr?
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
            <BEGIN RANT>
            FSM jnr went to doctors yesterday with a mild ear ache. The Dr proscribed some homoeopathy tablets.
            <END RANT>
            HANG ON A MINUTE.... isn't homeopathy supposed to be dilution in water? In which case how can you have tablets?

Anyone watch house? See the one where he got the sweets out of the dispenser, put them in a pill jar and gave them to the hyperchondriac?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              there is still a tendency for GPs just to prescribe a pill when it isn't necessary.
              Yes definitely agree.

Where tablets are not required, the doctor should be honest and say that.

All little FSM needed was a lollipop and a pat on the head.

Comment

Before you diss all homoeopathic cures, I suggest you do a little research into the active ingredient(s) of a few common drugs. You may be a little surprised at the alternative sources of those active ingredients.

Bear in mind that the FDA has the US by the short an curlies to the extent that a drug company can argue that it is an offence to say that anything can cure an ailment apart from a drug. It's less of a problem here...but there is still a tendency for GPs just to prescribe a pill when it isn't necessary.

Hopefully we'll never reach the stage it's reached in the US where people can get a pill for "shyness" - but having worked at a pharmaceutical company and seen the underhand marketing practices they use, and the "risk analysis" they perform on drugs, I don't trust them.
                You argumuent is a non-sequitur. You've pointed out that pharmaceutical companies might use 'alternative' sources (whatever they are) for their active ingredients and some follow 'underhand' marketing practices (whatever they are); that doesn't have any bearing at all on the nonsense of homeopathy.

It doesn't follow that if pharmaceutical firms don't do a good job that homeopathists might be innocent of quackery.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You clearly know nothing about pharma or drug development.

Homeopathy has nothing to do with ingredients. It's a completely bollux idea that if you dilute something to the nth degree it still has an effect, because the water it is dissolved in retains a "memory" of it.

There is no such thing as "risk analysis" of new drugs. It's called clinical trials and there are tried, tested and more importantly, regulated, procedures to be followed.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                    HANG ON A MINUTE.... isn't homeopathy supposed to be dilution in water? In which case how can you have tablets?

Anyone watch house? See the one where he got the sweets out of the dispenser, put them in a pill jar and gave them to the hyperchondriac?
                    Yeah, I was wondering the same. Perhaps after they have done all the dilution mumbo jumbo they put a drop of the water onto a chalk tablet.

Comment

Working...
                    X