• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Schoolgirl rapist shot in attack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schoolgirl rapist shot in attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...st/7973598.stm

The man shot in both legs in a paramilitary-style attack in Londonderry was awaiting sentencing for raping a 15-year-old schoolgirl.

Keith Burnside, 37, from Rosemount Gardens was convicted in March of raping a girl in his car at Sandbank Cottages in 2000.

Two masked men entered his home in Rosemount Gardens at about 2315 BST on Monday and fired a number of shots.

He suffered injuries to both legs, and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Community worker Tommy McCourt said such incidents made people fearful of a return to violence. "It takes you back to the bad old days," he said.

"We believed that those days had passed and nobody wants to see this kind of thing happening again."

SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey also condemned the attack. "The people who carried out this shooting have no support from the local community and no place in a civilised society," he said.

The police said that those responsible were of slim build and wore tracksuits, baseball caps, and scarves over their faces.

The first man was 5ft 10ins and the second 6ft 2ins.

They want anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen the men to contact them.

=================================

Would we be better off with paramilitaries running the country?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Would we be better off with paramilitaries running the country?
    No because it won't be long before innocent people accused of crimes will be shot. Then there would be the whisper in the pub that someone had done something but not been arrested, and they get shot. Etc

Comment

WHS

One of the things that once made this country great is the "innocent until proven guilty" justice system and not the shoot first ask questions later way of thinking
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        No because it won't be long before innocent people accused of crimes will be shot. Then there would be the whisper in the pub that someone had done something but not been arrested, and they get shot. Etc
        All good points. But in THIS case they waited until he was convicted. Seems like a good punishment to me. I bet it will deter a few others......

Comment

I used to stay in a really rough part if Northen Ireland.

You would occasionally get a bit of paper stuck to a wall saying something like "No children are allowed to drink behind these shops anymore, they have been keeping some older residents awake at night" and it happened straight away. There was hardly any petty crime even though it was a really rough area, if you got caught stealing from someones house that was hammers to the legs type stuff.

Comment

All good points. But in THIS case they waited until he was convicted. Seems like a good punishment to me. I bet it will deter a few others......

Just because somebody is convicted does not necessarily mean that they were guilty of the crime.

Comment

I bet it will deter a few others......
              No, it won't - even death sentence didn't deter - in such cases rapists started murdering their victims as well since they'd get death sentence in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                No, it won't - even death sentence didn't deter - in such cases rapists started murdering their victims as well since they'd get death sentence in any case.
                Indeed. WHS. +1. etc

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Indeed. WHS. +1. etc
                  WTS

Not that I disagree with capital punishment. However it is a punishment and will never work as a deterrant for the simple fact the people committing crimes think they won't get caught....
                  Still Invoicing

Comment

No..... but it would stop them raping again !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X