• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revenue accused of failure on tax credit system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue accused of failure on tax credit system

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...823606,00.html

"MPs accused Revenue & Customs yesterday of “incompetence” over its handling of the errors and fraud that have undermined Gordon Brown’s flagship tax credits system.
    David Varney, chairman of the Revenue, was told by members of the Commons Treasury Select Committee that they had been besieged with complaints from constituents who had been overpaid and were facing claims for repayment.

The commitee heard that the Revenue made overpayments worth £2.2 billion to 1.9 million families in 2003-04. Though figures for 2004-05 were not yet available, the Revenue expected mistakes “on the same scale”. The Revenue has acknowledged that £961 million of this money is likely to be irrecoverable.
    ",

Milan.

EDS have fecked up. They fecked up all the projects before this and will feck up all the projects after this. The result? EDS will get even more government contracts and the only losers are the tax payers. Here endeth the lesson. Amen.

Comment

For once I would tend to side with the Inland Revenue. It's Brownstuff's fault. The real problem is in the fundamental concept and from that all the idiotic complexity flows.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        EDS have fecked up. They fecked up all the projects before this and will feck up all the projects after this. The result? EDS will get even more government contracts and the only losers are the tax payers. Here endeth the lesson. Amen.
        No matter what the taxpayer always loses.

EDS ? Now that rings a bell ...

I recall working in Paris for a large engineering concern which was doing a massive deal with EDS to outsource its IT operations, however the day befire the contracts were due to be signed after a year of deliberations the plug was uncermoniously pulled by the French.

Apparently the French excutives had received a hard hitting dossier detaling a catalog of high profile contractual failures with EDS outsourced clients.

The suggestion that Mnr Pruffock was in any way involved with such a dossier must be firmly rebutted on the grounds that nothing could be further from the truth.

Pruffocks contract was extended the week after the EDS cancellation, bien sur.

Comment

A similar thing happened in Denmark. Though with some small differences reflecting the more mercenary aspects of some types. The consultancy company were given the opportunity of purchasing said dossier, but they demured calling such a payment danegeld. It was pointed out that gold was not necessary: kroner, swiss francs or pounds sterling were equally acceptable.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Xoggoth
            For once I would tend to side with the Inland Revenue. It's Brownstuff's fault. The real problem is in the fundamental concept and from that all the idiotic complexity flows.
            I doubt the Revenue ever told Gordon "no don't do this - it's a bad idea". Whilst I agree with you the concept was/is monumental stupidity, the Revenue would have rubbed their hands at yet another pile of administration to justify their exhorbitantly expensive status quo.

Make no mistake. One is as bad as the other. Both are in it for what 'they can get out of it' - and couldn't care less for any supposed benefit to the tax payer.

Comment

Working...
            X