• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone see that maths thing on the telly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see that maths thing on the telly

We live on the surface of a four dimensional doughnut.

Apparently.

Aye, and the maths professor who could not add 7 and 8 together.

Not believing anything that chap says.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I saw such a hard-core science program on TV... that stuff on probability, 4D visualisation and the prime-number proof is way above the level of normal science documentaries.

Well done to the BBC I say...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sad isn't it that such basic maths is now considered hardcore in the UK.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

And that people think the ability (or inability) to do simple arithmetic has bearing on real maths.

mmm. doughnut...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have it videoed : so please dont discuss anymore and spoil it for me.

Comment

I didnt think is was very hardcore - maths wise, although I did get lost on the 4d cube bit. As for the universe being a doughnut shape for some reason I already knew that.
              I was seriously freaked when that maths chappie couldnt do some simple sums - perhaps he is better at creative thinking and not so good at the basics, like a writer who cant spell?

But I did enjoy it and it was really nice to have an interesting science program that didnt dumb down too much. It was also good to see Euclid get a mention.

PS did anyone else wish they were a maths geek after watching it - or is it just me?

<pogle starts working out her expenses in felt tip on her desk>
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                I have to agree with you Threaded. The fact that I could answer the vast majority of the questions speaks volumes.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  What, 4D geometry and proving there are an infinite number of primes? Not to mention conditional probability.

The tests when they had the brain scanner were simple but that wasn't the point.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I have it videoed : so please dont discuss anymore and spoil it for me.
                    WHS - Please!

Comment

Working...
                    X