• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do agents do this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do agents do this?

Had an agent ring me and said he had seen my CV on jobserver and after a brief discussion of role and rate he said he would send me a jobspec and hoped to put me forward for the role.

Now 3 hours later I get nothing..

Is this some sort of agent strategy? My Assumption is that he's found someone else which is why he's not contacted me.. Would I be correct or is there another reason agents do this?

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Had an agent ring me and said he had seen my CV on jobserver and after a brief discussion of role and rate he said he would send me a jobspec and hoped to put me forward for the role.

Is this some sort of agent strategy? My Assumption is that he's found someone else which is why he's not contacted me.. Would I be correct or is there another reason agents do this?

Yes - agents are usually muppets.

I had a fella ring me up about a job to which I told him I would have no chance of getting it for a number of reasons, and if I applied it would be wasting my time, his time, the clients time.

To which he replied, and I'm not making this up, "Oh OK, well I think I'll put you forward anyway."

WTF??!!! Did you just listen to a word I said???!!

I also find that agents ring round about jobs that I know for a fact that aren't there any more.

Dodgy dodgy geezas.

Comment

I've always assumed they do this to get information from you. They hope you'll fall for the fact that they are interested in you and talk about present and previous clients. Did he give you the name of his client?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I doubt agnets are trawling jobserve for cv's in the current climate...
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

is there another reason agents do this?
          Are you looking for something more than "because they're a bunch of c**ts?"
          Last edited by SallyAnne; 1 April 2009, 14:24. Reason: I can't believe we can say that but we can't say tulip!!!!!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

I think sometimes its because they didn't like something you said... maybe not enough experience or whatever...but didnt have the guts to say.

OR I've actually had them call back a day or 2 later saying cool...NOW we need 2 references....

Comment

maybe if their call stats are being monitored and they are bored of rejections from cleints they just start random calls to random contractors to make themselves look busy?

Comment

It's called Fishing. It's one step below asking for 2 or more references. They are determining if you are on the market or not. The chances are, you had applied for a role with them via Jobserve some time ago, and their database tells them that you applied for a role via that Job Board... hence why they say "They have seen your details on Jobserve".

It's either that, or they genuinely forgot to send the description to you.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Could be worse, they could say "I've seen your details on adultfriendfinder.com"

Comment

This has happened to me several times over the last few weeks. Some of them are even cheeky/lazy enough to ask me to fill out a "skills matrix" or "cover sheet" too. Frustrating, but keep ploughing on ...

Comment

Working...
                    X