• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Day In Geneva.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day In Geneva.....

....and it's w@nk. The job seems fine but it is too bleedin expensive. Roll on the credit crunch over here! 1 day down, only another 89 to go.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Oh dear. I didn't want to hear that. There may be an opportunity out there for me in the next few months. Can ANYBODY stick up for the joint?
    He must have a foot like a traction engine

Comment

Originally posted by fadanoid View Post
      Oh dear. I didn't want to hear that. There may be an opportunity out there for me in the next few months. Can ANYBODY stick up for the joint?
      They do good cheese and clocks. They also have good (or at least they use to) ski slopes.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

geneve is cool. lots to do and see. great climate in summer, if a tad humid and of course france is next door [as are italy, germany & austria practically]. relax, enjoy it -go take a trip on the lake, yvoire is nice in the evenings - and think yourself lucky you're not back here in blighty suffering gordo's gloom.

Comment

According to some surveys, Geneva and Zürich rank in the top three best places in the world to live. I've no idea why - I can only assume that the surveyors didn't visit Neasden.

Geneva (and Switzerland in general) is expensive. Especially as £1,000 used to be worth CHF2'400 18 months ago, and is now worth only CHF1'600.

Forget the credit crunch. Switzerland isn't a credit economy. It'll suffer external pressure from the severely screwed up economies, but not internal.

Switzerland is great for skiing. I'm off to Engelberg this Saturday. If you're the type of person who needs lots of night life. Maybe be CH isn't the place for you.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            If you're the type of person who needs lots of night life. Maybe be CH isn't the place for you.
            I disagree as Iv been to Zurich last September for a weekend and found quite a decent night life in city centre because of tourists.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              ....and it's w@nk. The job seems fine but it is too bleedin expensive. Roll on the credit crunch over here! 1 day down, only another 89 to go.
              Is it not possible to live over the border in France and commute? Should be cheaper there.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Geneva really is nothing special. Just rake in the money then get outta there !!

Comment

I know this might sound surprising but it is indeed the Swiss that make the place lively, they're all down the live Jazz pubs bopping away.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Is it not possible to live over the border in France and commute? Should be cheaper there
                    I tried staying over the boredr in France in a cheapy ETap hotel in Annemasse and it was horrible. I'm really struggling to like this place. It's just too expansive and the stuff over the French border is grim. I might give Lausanne a whirl though as the hotels seem to be hitting a better price for the standard you get. Still way above what you'd expect to pay in the UK or anywhere else fro that matter but significantly cheaper than Geneva.

I'm now almost 2 days in and only have 88 left i think!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X