• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotels near Twickenham (or near London (part 2))

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotels near Twickenham (or near London (part 2))

I am at Twickenham Stadium in May, and would like the benefit of your knowledge, please.....

I am arriving Friday morning and leaving Sunday midday(ish) with the match on Saturday. I am bringing Mrs Dodd and young Master Dodd and want to do the tourist thing on Friday and Sunday, and also be within striking distance of Twickenham with only 'reasonable' travel involved.

Decent-ish hotels only.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Why not just stay in the hotel which is now attached to the stadium? Hilton I think it is. There aren't many decent hotels near there, I used to live pretty close to the stadium. The only other one I can think of is the Richmond Hill Hotel, unless you're after staying in one of the airport hotels.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

You'll be better off looking at Richmond, down the road. Better transport links during rugby weekends and better hotels. Book a taxi to twickenham and walk back along the river after the match.

Ones I've stayed at and can recommend would be the Petersham, Richmond Gate and Richmond Hill hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        Why not just stay in the hotel which is now attached to the stadium? .
        Marriott. It's not open yet. May be open by May but I'm not sure.

Best bet is one of the hotels in Richmond - on the tube & train for sightseeing and can get the bus to the match from there.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

RealityHack is right about the hotels and booking a taxi. Don't even think of taking public transport to Twickenham as it will be too much hassle on the day and all the hotels mentioned are not directly next to Richmond station.

What sort of sight seeing are you interested in?

As Hampton Court Palace is nearby (quickest method to get to it is using the bus), Kew Gardens is also very near (quickest method again bus), Richmond Park (walk), Thames River cruises (don't know where they start but they do end up at Hampton Court Palace) , you can get into central London (go via Waterloo quicker than the tube), go to the museums (use the district line) etc.... If you need to go shopping then use the shops in Richmond as they are much nicer than the West End.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            RealityHack is right about the hotels and booking a taxi. Don't even think of taking public transport to Twickenham as it will be too much hassle on the day and all the hotels mentioned are not directly next to Richmond station.
            Sorry, that's rubbish. Public transport is the best way to get to the game if you're not going to walk. The roads are absolute carnage for hours after a big match and trying to find your taxi after the match will be a nightmare.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
            X