• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you save a stranger? Ch4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you save a stranger? Ch4

well, would ya?

From a beating?

Comment

yep, or death.

Comment

When I was in Bali there was about 40 local guys beating the tulip out of local one guy outside a pub. Glassing him in the face and stuff like that. Eventually 4 OZ chaps ran in with their belts and got the guy into a taxi, when it drove off the mob dragged him out and start on him again, the Oz chaps ran in and pushed them off and got the boy into the taxi again. Bravest thing I have ever seen.

5 years later they blew the pub up.

I have stood up for folk in fights but would not have the guts to go 10 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          When I was in Bali there was about 40 local guys beating the tulip out of local one guy outside a pub. Glassing him in the face and stuff like that. Eventually 4 OZ chaps ran in with their belts and got the guy into a taxi, when it drove off the mob dragged him out and start on him again, the Oz chaps ran in and pushed them off and got the boy into the taxi again. Bravest thing I have ever seen.

5 years later they blew the pub up.

I have stood up for folk in fights but would not have the guts to go 10 to 1.
          Who blew it up: the crowd or the guy they were beating up? Have you considered they might well have a very good reason for beating him up?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            well, would ya?
            I have a scar on the palm of my right hand from when I was about 19. I got it saving a stranger.

Some lads were beating up a disabled kid - I chased them off. Who wouldn't?

But that was because they were doing to him what I had had done to me about 5 years earlier. Myself & two mates were set upon by a gang of older lads - we knew none of them; they were out looking for some smaller kids to practice on. I was hospitalised by that - the fat one laughing when he kicked me in the face I can still see quite clearly.

So when I saw the same done to someone else I didn't even think; I acted first. So does it still count? I suspect it shouldn't, really.

[Incidentally, I still have the scar on my lip from the beating; it still cracks and bleeds every winter. I still have the occasional bad dreams. I still think about it at the dead of night when something 'unfair' happened during the previous day. It still affects my behaviour when out and about. It is part of the reason I am so cynical. And it was 30 years ago. Four years for killing a stranger on demand for pushing in? Pathetic.]
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

that counts BI!

In the documentary, each story was really quite sad, and showed a different variation on the question.

One guy ran in to help and was killed with a knife straight to the heart.

Another managed to chase up the "bad guys" with threats of calling the police which almost certainly saved the victim's life.

Then there was a 12 year old girl who was attacked on a crowded bus, and everyone just looked the other way.

It's quite sad that it's looked on as such a moral dilemma. You WANT to think you would wade in and help, but I don't know if that's straight forward.

Maybe I'm just a sh!te bag

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                well, would ya?
                I like to save strangers.... just in case I ever need one. I have a collection of about 17 now.....

Comment

I would like to think I would.
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I did, and felt very let down by them afterwards

A few years ago I was walking down the Holloway Road in London in the middle of the day when I saw a drunken guy shouting at and hitting a woman. There were lots of people about, all doing nothing and trying to ignore it. I stepped in and got him to stop, at which point someone else joined in and helped me. The woman was able to get away while we restrained the guy.

It felt good. It felt like the right thing to do, and the risk of getting injured was out weighed by the good deed.

A couple of days later I was out on Upper Street in the evening with my girlfriend and saw the two of them walking hand-in-hand as if nothing had happened. Really p*ssed me off.

And the moral of the story is...

...helping a stranger in trouble is still probably the right thing to do, just don't expect them to have the sense to help themselves when you're not about.

Comment

Working...
                    X