• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Ever Doctor your CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Ever Doctor your CV?

As ever, I've had a call from an agent this morning asking me to amend my CV make me a closer match. I've done this a few times before but I'm fed up of doing it now. It seems to me that regardles of your experience in different industries, projects etc, that unless youe key words match theirs, clientco's aren't interested. I understand this to a point, however I started my contracting life 10 years ago as a box shifter and now I'm working in the NHS as a PM. how do you fit all that into 2 pages?

I've seen CV's with a list of S/w & H/w worked on/with, is this useful to clientco's? (I've never used it, I'm more interested in experience) or is it there for agents keyword searches?

So....do you doctor your CV as required/requested?
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

I'd drop the bit about you being a box shifter.

Comment

Did this the other day asked to drop the PM bits on my CV as role was for a BA - got me an interview anyway.

I do not like doing this - but if it gets me a gig - needs must.
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        WHS

But also:
        List of technology/platform/tools/buzzwords & tulip - precisely as you say ie so Pimps who don't know "Database" from "Dustbin" will "find" your cv on thier noddy keyword searches....
        (downside being you might get them chasing you for the "perfect role for you" because thier detailed knowledge of the market (numpty keyword search) identified you as the perfect fit (found "c#" mentioned once on page 3)).

In a GOOD market I tell them that:
        "if actually reading my cv doesn't tell someone who has the basic clue about what they are looking for wether or not I have the experience required for the role then changing a few lines around to include meaningless tulip certainly won't help"

but in a BAD market (like now) I may well spend 5mins or so editing it to include whatever dross they think relevant..... on the basis that it doesn't hurt. (although I won't put in obvious bullshine or anything that isn't "defendable"......)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          That bit isn't acually on my CV.....any more
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
            That bit isn't acually on my CV.....any more
            Although apparently "Logistics Manager" is

Comment

Agent once told me "you will not get this gig unless you can put down 'documenting business requirements' a few times"

Changed it and I got the gig. It was a tulip job.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                ..........'documenting business requirements'.......
                It was a tulip job.
                No tulip sherlock!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Drewster;813040]WHS

But also:
                  List of technology/platform/tools/buzzwords & tulip - precisely as you say ie so Pimps who don't know "Database" from "Dustbin" will "find" your cv on thier noddy keyword searches....

I once included the phase when I was'nt on the market " I hate ABAPs "

I recieved one or two calls from the Pimps who don't know "Database" from "Dustbin offering me an ABAP job.

Key words attract Pimps but not clients

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Can be if they're looking for someone who's worked on the Motorla MC6805P2PV...

Haven't had a lot interest in my Z80 and 8085 experience recently though
                    I'm pleased to say that uptake of my PDP-11 implementation of FORTH has remained steady since 1990.

A steady zero

Comment

Working...
                    X