• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying property, state benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying property, state benefits

I'm considering buying the flat I'm renting to serve as a base. Contract job may come to an end this year. Next contract could be a few hours drive away. Have made lots of friends here and have a bird. I could put all the money I have into this property leaving me with small mortgage but little or no savings. Could this mean that I could claim state benefits if contract comes to an end?

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    I'm considering buying the flat I'm renting to serve as a base. Contract job may come to an end this year. Next contract could be a few hours drive away. Have made lots of friends here and have a bird. I could put all the money I have into this property leaving me with small mortgage but little or no savings. Could this mean that I could claim state benefits if contract comes to an end?
    Possibly. Income support and help with mortgage is available if you are unemployed. It's means-tested if you have more than 16k in savings, and it's slightly different depending on your work history (past contributions etc etc).

Comment

I'm considering buying the flat I'm renting to serve as a base. Contract job may come to an end this year. Next contract could be a few hours drive away. Have made lots of friends here and have a bird.
      Does your lease allow you to keep pets?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
        Possibly. Income support and help with mortgage is available if you are unemployed. It's means-tested if you have more than 16k in savings, and it's slightly different depending on your work history (past contributions etc etc).
        ok thanks
        would I need to dissolve the company, or make myself redundant somehow to claim this?

Comment

Ask your local MP - I'm sure they'd know how to beat the system, they created it after all.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Ask your local MP - I'm sure they'd know how to beat the system, they created it after all.
            Rent it out to them instead... That way you get your taxes back.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              yes indeed, good thinking there

so what do you reckon guys? Current contract comes to an end this summer, renewal is doubtful as they're pulling the plug on many projects. Would you buy a property whilst on a contract instead of after it's come to an end? don't want to lose contract then try and buy something but realise I miss out on all the benefits somehow

Comment

New build flats are one of the types of housing losing the most in the current housing crash. You may go into negative equity quite quickly unless you can get a really good deal on that flat.

Some mortgage companies are not giving good rates to new-build flat purchasers and often have a higher LTV ratio for that area. Not a problem for you though.

There is also the problem with increased social housing being bought in some new developements further decreasing flat prices.

The otherside of the coin of course, is the inequality in benefits between homeowners with little savings and people who are saving to buy a home. The house asset is not included in "savings" but the renters savings are.

The DWP check your bank account for about 1 year before the period you claim benefits in (they ask to see bank statements). If your "bird" lives with you and is working that may be used against you.
                Last edited by Flopsy; 7 April 2009, 16:18.

Comment

Working...
                X