• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calc Corporation Tax due on the Flat Rate Vat Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calc Corporation Tax due on the Flat Rate Vat Scheme

Hi,

my ltd is on the flate-rate VAT scheme. Now I am calculating corporation tax.

My understanding is this is simply: gross_income - gross_expenditure. Is that correct?

I'm assuming if I wasn't on Flate Rate scheme, it would all be done with the NET figures totals.

Cheers, rich

You don't pay Corp tax on the VAT element of your turnover if you're not on the FRS.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
      Hi,

my ltd is on the flate-rate VAT scheme. Now I am calculating corporation tax.

My understanding is this is simply: gross_income - gross_expenditure. Is that correct?

I'm assuming if I wasn't on Flate Rate scheme, it would all be done with the NET figures totals.
      Corp tax is on your profit which can be [money in]-[money out] but can also be a lot harder than that.

Thoughe make sure you account for the change in tax years (i.e. the jump from 20% to 21% accordingly). Also if you have any fixed assets (i.e. comp equipment over £100 (general rule) then depreciate that accordingly).

If you are on FRS you have to add the bit you've saved to your profit and work out the tax on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

If you are on FRS you have to add the bit you've saved to your profit and work out the tax on that.
        **** me, is that right? What a bastard!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Yes, why wouldn't it be. It's not a rebate on VAT you get after you have paid calculated profits and paid CT, it is additional potential profit generated as a result of paying less VAT on the FRS. If you don't spend it on some other legitimate business expenditure it becomes part of the co's profits and gets taxed as such. Nothing underhand about it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I used Gross Income * 0.87 (i.e. Gross - FRS rate of 13%) for income. (my yearend was in september)

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              And likewise, you'd get relief if you'd ended up out of pocket

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Thanks, I was wondering about that bit...

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  You don't pay Corp tax on the VAT element of your turnover if you're not on the FRS.
                  Ok, thanks for all the replies. I'll calc it on the profit (gross_income - gross_expenditure)

Cheers, rich

Comment

Don't forget that if you are caught by IR35 the FRS on your IR35 income must be distributed as PAYE.

Comment

Working...
                    X