• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whaddya mean "the housing market"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whaddya mean "the housing market"?

Prompted by an assertion by Cyberman to the effect that removing his house from the market will push prices up, although his house is admittedly priced way above market.

What do you understand by "the market" and how would it be affected, let's say by a significant proportion, 20% being "taken off the market", i.e. no longer formally offered for sale?
    The market price will definitely rise
    0.00%
    The market price will definitely drop
    0.00%
    What happens depends on whether that 20% is overpriced or not
    28.57%
    It will have no effct on the "market price" because that measures sales and not ads
    42.86%
    My house keeps going up in value regardless
    28.57%
    Last edited by expat; 6 April 2009, 07:48.

Supply and demand innit !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      Supply and demand innit !!
      (sigh) I know you're taking the piss, but:

Supply is the number of units that all potential sellers are willing to offer at a given price.
      Demand is the number of units that all potential buyers are willing to buy at a given price.

These are both curves, not single values. Where they meet gives the market price, and the market volume.

If you "remove from the market" some houses that are priced much above that market price, what you are doing is lowering the height of the supply curve at the right end (the high-priced end). If that all takes place well away from the intersection of the supply and demand curves, there is no reason to suppose that this action will affect the point where the curves intersect.

As for creating a shortage: if you take off the market something that nobody wanted anyway (at the price asked), that does not create a shortage.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        (sigh) I know you're taking the piss, but:
        I don't think you should rely on Cyberman professional business and economics expertise only. You might also want to talk to Atw to complement that knowledge.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
        X