• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much deeper do the pockets have to be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much deeper do the pockets have to be?

The Institute for Fiscal Studies is predicting that Darling is going to need to raise 39 billion pounds more than he predicted back in November, or spend 39 billion pounds less.

linky(SFW)

Is it just me, or are the numbers now getting so large that they don't mean anything any more?

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Is it just me, or are the numbers now getting so large that they don't mean anything any more?
    It isn't just you. I 'm half wishing I'd borrowed a few million before the banks went pear shaped, and got it written off as a toxic asset.

Well, not really, but ...
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I usually divide the figure by the size of the population. So about £650 extra each.

Or compare to big project like building a new power station at about a £1 billion. The extra amount needed could have built almost all our nuclear needed power stations

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I usually divide the figure by the size of the tax paying population. So about £1560 extra for each taxpayer.

Or compare to big project like building a new power station at about a £1 billion. The extra amount needed could have built almost all our nuclear needed power stations
        Corrected for you
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have no idea who is behind this website, or what their agenda is, but it is fascinating to have a play with it.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/(SFW)

Comment

£1250 per family per year according to the times. Get ready to tighten those belts.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6043637.ece
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Institute for Fiscal Studies is predicting that Darling is going to need to raise 39 billion pounds more than he predicted back in November, or spend 39 billion pounds less.

linky(SFW)

They will mean something when your taxes double.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                They will mean something when your taxes double.
                If the tax burden only doubles, we've got off lightly.

Comment

I have no idea who is behind this website, or what their agenda is, but it is fascinating to have a play with it.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/(SFW)
                  Christopher Chantrill at http://www.roadtothemiddleclass.com/
                  It looks like he's a septic.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Read in the papers this morning (so it must be true) Alistair Darling is looking to bring in a new wave of tax increases

VAT to go back up to 17.5%, rumours abound it will go up to 19.5%
                    Petrol Duty to be increase another 2p in November
                    Alcohol & fags up 25% duty
                    Import duty up 20%
                    Docking Fees at regional ports already up 225%

which is nice........
                    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                    X