• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Creditcard balance xfer rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditcard balance xfer rates

I've had a small balance on a Capital One creditcard for some time now, I got it a few years ago at a promotional rate of 3.9% for the life of the balance.. being a low rate I've just been paying the minimum monthly payment.

Gets my statement through today and noticed the interest amount has gone up almost 10x from last month.

Rang them up and was told that because the cost of lending has increased, so has my interest rate. I asked how they could do this since the money on the card was still at the 3.9% life of balance rate, and just kept getting the same reply "the cost of lending has gone up".

Rang financial ombudsman and they said I can put in a complaint, but chances are there will be something in the T&Cs allowing them to do this.

Anyone else been stung? I've also heard there's a list of other card providers doing this as of this month?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

I pay mine off every month. Sorry.

Comment

Sneaky, evil sods.

Get on to a comparison web site, get yourself a new 0% card (Virgin do one) and pay the balance within 13 months and you won't lose out.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Apart from the 3% balance transfer fee.

Comment

The money we're talking here is not an issue, the balance is <£2000 and the interest went from £0.58p/month to £10/month... it's the principle of the matter which is important.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Apart from the 3% balance transfer fee.
            Which is no more than he was paying Capital before the rates shot up
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              The money we're talking here is not an issue, the balance is <£2000 and the interest went from £0.58p/month to £10/month... it's the principle of the matter which is important.
              I understand - but the credit card companies don't have principles so they won't. What they will understand is lost business and bad publicity.

And thanks for the warning - I'll certainly be keeping an eye on my statements.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

They probably assumed that most folk would not even notice.

I ain't used my credit card in over 5 years, don't even know what the rate is.

Comment

I use my credit cards as much as possible, earning cashback, and keeping money in my bank account as long as possible which offsets my mortgage.

Difficult to say how much I save doing this.

Always pay off in full every month, except where I have 0% deals on the go.

Comment

I do the pay for everything on a cashback credit card and then settle the bill each month too.

The one thing I don't do is pay interest on anything. Interest is dead money for fools.

Comment

Working...
                    X