• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gosh, travel by rail is expensive!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh, travel by rail is expensive!

Been looking over travel options for a seminar I'd like to attend down south next month. Its being held at a hotel across from heathrow in four weeks time.

BA flight down the night before and returning at the end of the day works out to £88 all in.

Rail to Euston - just to Euston - is £95.50 with reasonable times of departure/arrival. 5pm from here the day before and 6:30pm end of day from Euston.

I haven't included the fare i'd need to Manchester airport ..nor the underground fare from Euston to Heathrow. I imagine the latter would be higher than the former. I was hopeing to stay at a hotel I know which has great breakfasts located next to Euston. As it is its looks like I'll be staying at the Ibis Heathrow.

Its pretty clear why people still prefer to fly.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

My monthly season ticket for my last role went up to 450 quid, admittedly first class but I cannot expect to sit in steerage.

Do like the train though, laptop out and wireless on.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Been looking over travel options for a seminar I'd like to attend down south next month. Its being held at a hotel across from heathrow in four weeks time.

BA flight down the night before and returning at the end of the day works out to £88 all in.

Rail to Euston - just to Euston - is £95.50 with reasonable times of departure/arrival. 5pm from here the day before and 6:30pm end of day from Euston.

I haven't included the fare i'd need to Manchester airport ..nor the underground fare from Euston to Heathrow. I imagine the latter would be higher than the former. I was hopeing to stay at a hotel I know which has great breakfasts located next to Euston. As it is its looks like I'll be staying at the Ibis Heathrow.

Its pretty clear why people still prefer to fly.
      Just be thankful you're not travelling peak time. Thats best part of 250 quid. I think an off peak return is about 70 quid. The 2 singles route hardly ever works now since the changes in ticketing arrangements.

Comment

Have you factored in "Faff" time at the airport?

Price of train to Heathrow depends on how you get there. The express from Paddington is ridculously expensive but the tube station is in zone 6 - £3.80 single from zone 1 at peak times. You'd probably be better off getting a 1 day travelcard which is about £7 IIRC.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Just be thankful you're not travelling peak time. Thats best part of 250 quid. I think an off peak return is about 70 quid. The 2 singles route hardly ever works now since the changes in ticketing arrangements.
          I can get it for £71..but the return is very very late...arrival after 11pm. The next ticket option is £256!
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

It's pretty ludicrous, I had a meeting in Central London a while back and priced the trip to a similar level as yours, I drove down for less than 1/3rd of the cost, parked and took the tube based on the advice of a few posters here.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Have you factored in "Faff" time at the airport?

Price of train to Heathrow depends on how you get there. The express from Paddington is ridculously expensive but the tube station is in zone 6 - £3.80 single from zone 1 at peak times. You'd probably be better off getting a 1 day travelcard which is about £7 IIRC.

Its the "Faff" time that make me prefer taking the train..run on/run off. But I have experienced delays of as much as 3 hours at Preston! (perhaps one of the worst stations in the country - how Virgin get away with it I don't know)

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                I can get it for £71..but the return is very very late...arrival after 11pm. The next ticket option is £256!
                Sounds about right :-( , an off peak return is 66.10. Valid ex picadilly after about 11 am. Valid ex euston after 18.30. Can be bought on the day and is flexibile. There's always the coach I suppose :-(

Try looking for a ticket including the Heathrow Express - sometime (not often) - they have linked promotions. Last time I went to Heathrow on the train from Taunton I paid full price for a 1st class return on the Heathrow express and any first class return from the south west was chucked in for an extra tenner. Not seen that since though but I always look.

Comment

Preston station is one of the grimest places in the country. Been caught up there a couple of times.

Comment

Working...
                  X