• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blog or website as a potential tool for finding work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blog or website as a potential tool for finding work?

Do any of you run a blog or your own website where you list technical articles (showing your karate moves)? And more to the point do you know if any potential employers have viewed these after reading your C.V.?

I'm thinking more of a personal website with a blog look and feel. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
    I have a blog/site but I don't list it on my CV
    33.33%
    I don't have a blog/site now get the hell outta here, punk
    11.11%
    I have a blog/site and I know that at least some employers have read it before interviewing me.
    27.78%
    I blog about AndyW's mum and potential employers love it
    27.78%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by jkoder; 6 April 2009, 14:19.

Originally posted by jkoder View Post
    Do any of you run a blog or your own website where you list technical articles? And more to the point do you know if any potential employers have viewed these after reading your C.V.?
    Yes (technical web type demos on it) & Yes (I use sitemeter to log all visits). It's at the top of my CV now filling the last 2 month gap, but still not getting anywhere though.

Comment

I run a Java blog, just rants really, would probably not advertise my CV under it.

I used to have my CV under my own web site, it was if I was out I could get my CV to an agent quickly if I though there was a job going.

I would tell them to go to www.<my name>.com and use agent and CV as username and password and the link to the CV would appear. Many of the agents could not do it, as we all know, some of them are as thick as mince.

Comment

I reckon you would run the risk of client co hiring manager thinking you a geeky tw4t.
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
          I reckon you would run the risk of client co hiring manager thinking you a geeky tw4t.
          Hope so, I am applying for an I.T. job, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
            Yea, surely thats a good thing? I've started a blog and wanted to get it to a decent size/quality before using it properly for searching for work or putting on the CV.

I'm a coder so was just going to write loads of uber-geeky code blog posts and hope that means they would hire cuz i sound well clever innit.

no?

Comment

Blog websites have plummeted in google page ranks since March because it is rumoured google are looking at the age of older posts and hence eliminating the credits these posts previously helped generate i.e. it is not as easy to get hits from a blog as it used to be!

Comment

After I'd been on one contract for a few weeks and got friendly with one of the guys who had originally interviewed me, he confided that they'd found my website and taken a look at it and "it was completely crap"! Which was/is true because I haven't updated the home page and links in years and there's nothing which dates faster than an old web site. I can remember one little Flash tutorial I wrote was fresh enough to be linked to directly from the Macromedia website (as it was in those days). That same tutorial looks totally retarded nowadays.

Now I just use the domain name in my email address and store various code and other files on there for direct linking, that's all. I've since cleared the home page of any links, just in case anyone else finds their way there.

So, unless your website is first class and constantly maintained and updated, I'd say forget it. I was lucky that the techy guy that interviewed me recognised that my website wasn't representative of what I do now.

Comment

Working...
                X