• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Man-Made Global Warming Poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Man-Made Global Warming Poll

Another exciting poll on AGW.
    Yes - I've seen the Al Gore film and all the new taxes
    30.77%
    No - I'm really not that stupid.
    69.23%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7984054.stm

Above Link ...As mentioned in "An Inconvenient Truth" filmed in 2005 we are fooked. My advice sell your contractor million dollar pads and buy a boat and lots of warm clothes.

Comment

WHY does it matter if it's caused by human activity? Why is that always the debate? I think I've said on here before that it's like if you were standing at the bottom of a cliff and you saw an enormous slab of rock breaking away and tumbling towards you, and instead of running away as fast as possible, you stood there arguing about whether it had eroded naturally due to water and wind, or if it was because of walkers on the cliff path.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        WHY does it matter if it's caused by human activity? Why is that always the debate? I think I've said on here before that it's like if you were standing at the bottom of a cliff and you saw an enormous slab of rock breaking away and tumbling towards you, and instead of running away as fast as possible, you stood there arguing about whether it had eroded naturally due to water and wind, or if it was because of walkers on the cliff path.
        Eh? Are you CyberCretin's long lost cousin?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          Well there is an argument that if it's man made then we can curtail or stop the activity to prevent it going further or reverse it.

Personally I think it's a total load of dingos kidneys and if there is any warming going on then it's part of the way the planet works and not down to recent human activities.
          Just take a look at the geological record of the planet and you can see that there have been much warmer periods when there was no ice at all on the planet and much colder ones when a sizable chunk of the planet has been covered by ice. The CO2 levels have been many, many times higher than they are now and there was an awful lot of life about, some of it far larger and more abundant than is on the planet now.
          For that matter any decent sized volcano that pops off chucks sizable percentages of the pollutants (CO2, SO2, sulphates, sulphites, nitrates, nitrites, soot and ash) that the human race has ever produced.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            a total load of dingos kidneys

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Personally I think it's a total load of dingos kidneys and if there is any warming going on then it's part of the way the planet works and not down to recent human activities.
              Great. Well, thanks for giving us your personal opinion. *SPLAT* Oh dear, the rock's fallen on your head. Still, at least it was nature's fault, so that's ok.

Comment

The CO2 levels have been many, many times higher than they are now and there was an awful lot of life about

Incorrect.

With each ice age (a natrually occuring clycle) over the last 600,000 years there is a corresponding rise in CO2 levels - this is scientific fact. This time around man have elevated CO2 levels beyond anything previously seen by at least 3/4x normal levels.

This is largely seen to be accelerating the earths natural climate change processes. Large amounts of fresh water are now being dumped into the saline sea at accelerating rates changing the composition of the sea and the cylcle of warm water which in a knock on effect is changing weather patterns destabilising the global climate.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
                  Incorrect.

With each ice age (a natrually occuring clycle) over the last 600,000 years there is a corresponding rise in CO2 levels - this is scientific fact. This time around man have elevated CO2 levels beyond anything previously seen by at least 3/4x normal levels.

This is largely seen to be accelerating the earths natural climate change processes. Large amounts of fresh water are now being dumped into the saline sea at accelerating rates changing the composition of the sea and the cylcle of warm water which in a knock on effect is changing weather patterns destabilising the global climate.
                  CO2 levels were higher in the middle ages than they are now and the highest recently was in 1942, so CO2 levels are actually dropping.

HTH
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    CO2 levels were higher in the middle ages than they are now and the highest recently was in 1942, so CO2 levels are actually dropping.

HTH
                    Threaded - could you provide links to that. This contradicts the 'evidence' I have seen (does not make me right or wrong - just curious).
                    Beer
                    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X