• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programme about the taxman

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programme about the taxman

Did anyone see it? I missed it but saw the letters in the metro this morning. There to make your life difficult by the looks of it. Worth bearing in mind if you do ever have to deal with them...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

Overworked tax staff are routinely ignoring mistakes, refusing to answer phone calls and even binning letters, a whistleblower has claimed.
    Hundreds of people who ring in with complaints are cut off simply to meet government targets on answering calls, the insider said.

She added: 'Staff have actually been told that, when someone rings in with a tax inquiry and you spot a mistake on a person's record, you have to ignore it unless they have actually asked you to look at that mistake. It's all about the government target of answering so many calls in a day.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I saw it and my conclusion was that due to extremely poor admin and query follow up procedure (eg throw correspondance in bin without reading it) we should all be very wary of being made bankrupt as it can happen to anyone.

I would advise that if you get a letter from HMRC stating you owe them unpaid tax (when you don't and have evidence to prove this), keep on top of it and engage your MP - to me, this seemed to be the only course of action that got any results. Otherwise, you could very well get a knock from the debt collectors.

you have been warned.

Comment

Once had a 10 minute argument on the phone with one who insisted directors could not be paid PAYE.

People with that level of stupidity should not be so powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Once had a 10 minute argument on the phone with one who insisted directors could not be paid PAYE.

People with that level of stupidity should not be so powerful.
        There's a simple answer to that, just put the phone down and ring again. Normally only takes a couple of goes to get a sensible one that will help you.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          There's a simple answer to that, just put the phone down and ring again. Normally only takes a couple of goes to get a sensible one that will help you.
          I tried that but she seemed to be a 'controller' 'secretary' type that got the first call to the line I was given, she refused to put me through to some department because I was a director. The third time I got her I just had to argue it out.

Comment

Was it in black and white?

Or did it have shades of grey?

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              There to make your life difficult by the looks of it. Worth bearing in mind if you do ever have to deal with them...
              Nope, not any more
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
              X