• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is wrong with this country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with this country?

CLAIM BROUGHT TOO LATE

The victim of Lotto rapist Iorworth Hoare must pay £100,000 towards his legal costs after she lost her bid to sue him for compensation.

The 76-year-old woman was challenging an earlier ruling banning her from claiming compensation, but a judge decided to uphold the ban.

Hoare, 52, was jailed for life in May 1989 for trying to rape the former teacher, who has suffered "psychiatric injury" since the attack.

He won £7m after buying a lottery ticket while on weekend leave from Leyhill open prison last year.

Mr Justice Jack said he decided to uphold the ruling because Hoare was bound to win if the case came to trial as the claim was brought more than the legal limit of six years after the assault occurred.

"In my view, at this stage, it is sufficiently clear that this action is barred by limitation of time," he said.

The judge also ordered the woman, known as Mrs A, to pay around £100,000 towards Hoare's legal costs.

Mrs A's lawyers said she is not asking for a specific amount of compensation, but wanted to pay back the £5,000 she had received from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.

The Home Office is now considering extending the six-year deadline to allow victims to bring civil cases against offenders to claim compsenation.

Is there no end to the lunacy of this country?? Bring back capital punishment - would save us all a fortune.

The courts should allocate "compensation" against the criminal at the time they are found guilty. The criminal injuries board should pay out that compo and should then recover it from the assets of the crim any unrecovered debt should remain against the criminal untill they pay it off.

"paying it off" could be defined by the courts i.e. a burglar owing court costs could earn those costs back by not being a burglar for 5 years or shopping 10 other burglars etc.

It would be worth it.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
      CLAIM BROUGHT TOO LATE

The victim of Lotto rapist Iorworth Hoare must pay £100,000 towards his legal costs after she lost her bid to sue him for compensation.

The 76-year-old woman was challenging an earlier ruling banning her from claiming compensation, but a judge decided to uphold the ban.

Hoare, 52, was jailed for life in May 1989 for trying to rape the former teacher, who has suffered "psychiatric injury" since the attack.

He won £7m after buying a lottery ticket while on weekend leave from Leyhill open prison last year.

Mr Justice Jack said he decided to uphold the ruling because Hoare was bound to win if the case came to trial as the claim was brought more than the legal limit of six years after the assault occurred.

"In my view, at this stage, it is sufficiently clear that this action is barred by limitation of time," he said.

The judge also ordered the woman, known as Mrs A, to pay around £100,000 towards Hoare's legal costs.

Mrs A's lawyers said she is not asking for a specific amount of compensation, but wanted to pay back the £5,000 she had received from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.

The Home Office is now considering extending the six-year deadline to allow victims to bring civil cases against offenders to claim compsenation.

Is there no end to the lunacy of this country?? Bring back capital punishment - would save us all a fortune.
      Agree with you from a justice point of view, but just who was advising her? 1989 is 16 years ago let alone 6. She should sue her legal advisors, but I doubt she had any
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If he had never gone public about winning the money, she would not have been any the wiser and would not have brought the action against him. To me it sounds like opportunistic money grabbing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          The courts should allocate "compensation" against the criminal at the time they are found guilty.
          Yup, bring back the old felony laws - When a criminal is convicted of a felony, all their goods and chattels should be forfeit. That's how it used to work.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
            If he had never gone public about winning the money, she would not have been any the wiser and would not have brought the action against him. To me it sounds like opportunistic money grabbing.
            Well there's not much point suing someone who hasn't got anything is there! Thought I was cynical Lady but you take the biscuit

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
              Well

"there's not much point suing someone who hasn't got anything is there!"
              Thought I was cynical Lady but you take the biscuit

Try telling the Inland Revenue that !
              I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Working...
              X