• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recording TV: DVD or HD recorder?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording TV: DVD or HD recorder?

Splashing out on a nice new TV, would also like to replace our VHS with something more modern. We won't have Sky so initially will be recording standard TV, but something supporting HDMI would be cool.

Are there any big differences between getting a DVD/HD recorder, except the obvious ones regarding capacity/removability of the media involved?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Splashing out on a nice new TV, would also like to replace our VHS with something more modern. We won't have Sky so initially will be recording standard TV, but something supporting HDMI would be cool.

Are there any big differences between getting a DVD/HD recorder, except the obvious ones regarding capacity/removability of the media involved?
    Get a combo device. Then you can record your programs onto HDD, and the ones you want to keep, you can then record onto the DVD.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Get a freeview twin tuner box like the Humax which has a built in hard disk. That'll do you until you get Sky+
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Get a freeview twin tuner box like the Humax which has a built in hard disk. That'll do you until you get Sky+
        Yeah the Humax ones are good.
        Most of the good ones, have a usb connection so you can copy off any programs you want to keep.

PVR is much better than a dvd recorder.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Sky have got some good offers on at the mo, e.g. Sky+HD for £50 IIRC, so cheap why not go for that straight away?
          Last edited by Platypus; 8 April 2009, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Sky have got some good offers on at the mo, e.g. Sky+HD for £500 IIRC, so cheap why not go for that straight away?

I thought it was £50.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

I thought it was £50.
              Ooops

Comment

Another vote here for the Humax, I got one about three years ago and it is still going strong. Had to hack it to get a more reliable USB connection so hopefully the new ones are a bit better.

I am looking at upgrading to one of these with RAID 1.5 TB hard drives:
                http://www.efficientpc.co.uk/desktops/genii/

So can whack music, pics and family videos on in as well as record from the TV etc.
                my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  PVR is much better than a dvd recorder.
                  WHS

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  Yeah the Humax ones are good.
                  Most of the good ones, have a usb connection so you can copy off any programs you want to keep.
                  Careful - I came across a couple that have a USB connection but the firmware doesn't "yet" support grabbing data from the disk using it.

I used to have in Inverto 'til a tuner fault developed, and there's zero support from the now-defunct manufacturer

Replaced it with the latest TVonics, pretty happy* so far though the EPG interface is a bit clunky.

* By which I mean the family are happy - I hardly watch TV, 95% of it is utter rubbish IMHO.

Comment

Topfield

I've got a Topfield hd recorder, which I've had for about 3 years now. The good thing about it is that you can load lots of external stuff, such as really good EPG's etc. Also has a USB output to copy stuff off to computer and play using VLC (plus maybe others)...good when working away.

Comment

Working...
                    X