• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

police

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7988828.stm
    A man who died during the G20 protest was pushed to the ground by a police officer, video footage has shown.
    Newsagent Mr Tomlinson, who was not protesting, is seen receiving a two-handed push from a police officer.
    I await this review with interest. I am sure it will turn out to be "unfortunate".

Also on the news:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7990188.stm
    Pc guilty of girl's crash death
    Pc John Dougal, 41, had accelerated to 94mph (151km/h) in a 30mph zone before he hit Hayley Adamson in Newcastle in May, the city's crown court heard.
    A police driving expert told the court that the patrol officer's speed was unjustified, but Dougal had claimed he had been driving safely.
    This is obviously a new meaning of "safely" that I had not previously been aware of.

I remember the incident:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7412057.stm
    Hayley Adamson, 16, was struck as she crossed Newcastle's Denton Road, late on Monday night.
    Angry witnesses confronted police and a 23-year-old man was subdued with a Taser stun gun and arrested. He has since been released without charge.
    Imagine if your friend had just been mown down by some Capt Kirk pilot of a 90 mph Volvo with no lights or siren on, and you remonstrated - so you get zapped. Don't complain, citizen Smith. We don't like it.

This is not a police force that I am happy to be subject to. Will no-one defend us from them?

If you had any clue what "police" does in countries like Russia you'd think different.

In such demostrations someone always get hit or killed, often that's the main objective of the organisers which is why they spend so much effort provoking the police.

This "two-handed push" is hardly something along the lines of armed police murdering demostration activities during the night using their position of authority: now thats serious abuse.

Comment

What is your point here?

Do you think the police are maliciously doing these things?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        What is your point here?

Generally speaking, no. But I wonder what the motive was behind what that police officer did. I don't think police are generally agressive, but I do believe there are some rogues.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

What is your point here?

I don't but I don't think they are comming clean when asked about them and it would be nice to see the laws applied to us being applied to them from time to time.

So we have video of this guy being pushed at the G20 demos. If you look at the video he isn't part of the mob, he has his hands in his pockets and it looks like he is hit before the copper pushes him over. When he later dies the coppers said it was becaues the mob were stopping emergency services attending. That sounds a bit like the sort of @rse covering that happened just after they shot the brazilian bloke whoose name I can't spell

or the copper who was caught doing a stupid speed but was let off because he was testing the handling of his car. I doubt I'd get away with that one.

The other week I was sat in Leeds and watched as a cop car went through 2 sets of red lights. Not just changing to red, but fully on red and without his disco lights going. If it had been you or me we would have got points and a fine.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

uk police state

Uk is a police state
            in other words, police is above the law.

Comment

You are making mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep.

Comment

Minesterone wrote : You are making mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep.

blackguard
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I thought the police were quite good in the 80s, message in a bottle etc.

Boom Boom.

Comment

What is your point here?

Individual Police officers generally aren't malicious, but the rules they are made to follow, the 'organisational behaviour' causes these things.

Much like racism, there're not that many racist Police officers, but the organisation gives the effect of being racist.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X