• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More proof the dollar is dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More proof the dollar is dead

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_7660017.htm

Analysts said the experimental use of the yuan in trade settlement also reflects policymakers' rising concern over the shaky prospects of the US currency, of which China has large reserves from previous trade growth, and their willingness to gradually expand the yuan's use globally.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Fine, let the yuan loose on the markets and see how competitive their products are globally. They've effectively been subsidising their manufacturing base for years by keeping the yuan lower than it's true value.

Great for all of us wanting to buy cheap tellies of course ...

More unemployed Chinese, wonder how long the econmoic surge will last once unemployment keeps rocketing up.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Fine, let the yuan loose on the markets and see how competitive their products are globally. They've effectively been subsidising their manufacturing base for years by keeping the yuan lower than it's true value.

Great for all of us wanting to buy cheap tellies of course ...

More unemployed Chinese, wonder how long the econmoic surge will last once unemployment keeps rocketing up.
      There was an article on there yesterday stating that there was a stimulus package about to be announced and that China was expected to pull out of recession in Q3.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        There was an article on there yesterday stating that there was a stimulus package about to be announced and that China was expected to pull out of recession in Q3.
        I'm no expert, but given they're still a primarily export driven economy wouldn't that have to involve the rest of the world (Or at least America) buying the goods they produce?

And btw - they're not in recession, they're still growing, albeit at a lower rate then they have been for several years .. or did I miss something?
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          nuLieBore say the same about the UK economy too.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            I'm no expert, but given they're still a primarily export driven economy wouldn't that have to involve the rest of the world (Or at least America) buying the goods they produce?

And btw - they're not in recession, they're still growing, albeit at a lower rate then they have been for several years .. or did I miss something?
            Yes, that much is clear

It has little to do with the innate value of the Chinese currency. The huge elephant in the room is that the Chinese, thanks to unbelievably stupid economic policies but the US government over the last 15-20 years, basically own the dollar.

One of the many factors that makes predicting what is going to happen with the world economy over the next five years nigh on impossible is that nobody knows how the Chinese will use that weapon. And rest assured, a weapon it is. They may choose to support the dollar, they may not.

Personally, I think the outcome of G20 gives an indication of what Chinese economic policy is. They want to use their financial muscle to influence getting the dollar replaced as the world's backup currency, thereby reducing US influence across the globe. They are not stupid these Chinese fellows.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
            X