• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldies make a comeback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldies make a comeback

Ah, it doth gladden the old heart. These young whipper-snappers don't know their @rse from their elbow...get some old fogies in there to do it right!

Maybe one of the side effects of this slump will be a bit of a bounce back from ageism - an acknowledgement that experience is more valuable than youth when you're running things?

A debatable point....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...cue-banks.html

"A "Dad's Army" of financial experts are riding to the rescue of Britain's battered lenders to return them to "good old-fashioned banking", according to recruitment professionals.

"The proposed appointments, revealed yesterday, of City grandee Lord Leitch as the new senior independent director of Lloyds Banking Group and veteran KPMG vice-chairman Brendan Nelson as chairman of the Royal Bank of Scotland's audit committee are the latest in a line of long-serving directors to join the banks.

"People are saying that we need some grey hairs around the place," said Richard Fletcher, a director of executive search company Fletcher Jones. "They want people who know how to run a bank or asset manager on more traditional old-fashioned values, not pushing products that the end user probably doesn't understand."

Mr Fletcher added that in many cases the experts were being brought out of retirement. He said: "Experience is being looked at as a big plus, which it wasn't before. A Dad's Army of old bankers is coming to the rescue."

One recent example was Jim Willens, 52, a retired Nationwide Building Society board director. Dunfermline planned to hire him as a non-executive last September but instead decided to create a new role of chief operating officer for him. He was elevated to chief executive on January 1 in a last-ditch attempt to prevent the mutual from collapse, although he ultimately failed.

Richard Pym, 59, the former Alliance & Leicester chief executive who retired in 2007, returned last year to help bail out Bradford & Bingley before it was nationalised. Headhunters say their books are replete with grey-haired bankers who were cast out in the boom for their unfashionably cautious views.

Mr Fletcher said many of the hires are being made below board level and the trend is catching on across all financial services.Another appointment was John Berry, who came out of retirement last September to help rescue Anglo Irish Bank. Mr Berry, who retired in July after 40 years with the RBS, was unable to stop the rot because of the scale of the crisis at the now-nationalised Anglo Irish."
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

What I've noticed about ageism is that when I was a young whippersnapper there was always a set of younger, hungrier people coming through. I always thought as I got older I'd find it more and more difficult to compete with better people rising through the IT ranks.

It's just not happened though. For the past 10 years or so, upward pressure has been non-existent. Lack of education, lack of interest in IT as a career, outsourcing, all have probably paid a part.

The shame is, it's had an effect on me too. Without that competition, I've not improved as much as I could/should have done either.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
    X