• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies going to the wall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies going to the wall?

If jobs are getting scarce these days, has anyone heard of any IT recruitment agencies going to the wall?

Or of agents losing their jobs? (Not that I am implying I would like that to happen!)

Yes, there's something in the news about it today actually.. Hays reporting a huge drop and laying off staff.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...Vacancies_Fall

It's not very good news for contractors because it means they are more likely to require a larger slice of the pot to sustain business... less money coming to us, etc.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I'm not that surprised as I had an inkling that agencies were waiting for April and new budgets being realeased hoping that things would improve.

If that doesn't have much of a positive effect then I suspect there may be a few more to follow Hays' example!

Comment

Preferred IT closed their Leeds Office earlier this year - 10 agents told to go....
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

I heard that SThree laid off 400 odd staff in Berkshire a few weeks ago - there's a few out there going to the wall - we're struggling to find new business, and are standing still at the moment (as one gets doomed, the next gets boomed to speak CUK language). It's harder work to get someone in, but the good agents will still find it from somewhere.

Good I say - the less of these monkey estate agent spotty oik 19 year olds we have tainting my reputation, the more likely it is that when I speak to someone I'm taken seriously!!

TAV
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Trouble is the recruitment industry is just as ageist as the IT industry. So they may actually use it as an excuse to get rid of the older more experienced and expensive people! Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              I heard that SThree laid off 400 odd staff in Berkshire a few weeks ago - there's a few out there going to the wall - we're struggling to find new business, and are standing still at the moment (as one gets doomed, the next gets boomed to speak CUK language). It's harder work to get someone in, but the good agents will still find it from somewhere.

Good I say - the less of these monkey estate agent spotty oik 19 year olds we have tainting my reputation, the more likely it is that when I speak to someone I'm taken seriously!!

TAV
              You're an agent. Trust me, it's tainted.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
                If jobs are getting scarce these days, has anyone heard of any IT recruitment agencies going to the wall?

Or of agents losing their jobs? (Not that I am implying I would like that to happen!)
                I had heard a rumour that quite a few agents had been retrained to replace laboratory test rats and chimpanzees. Obviously the agents are not quite as bright as the rats or chimps, but on the upside, the scientists don't become as attached to them.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                X