• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obfuscating client names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obfuscating client names

My last contract involved developing a bespoke system for a small local firm. That client said they would give me raving reference, but were aware of the possibility of being pestered by agents, so I agreed to try to minimise it. The work is done and the guy has a business to run after all, not to speak to every agent that comes across my CV.

So..my recent agent submissions have involved my obfuscating the client business name a little (a quick check in the phone book would otherwise soon unearth the client manager). As this approach didn't appear to solicit much response from agencies, today I forwarded a CV with the real client business name on it and told the agent that I would provide references to the client after interview, and this was agreed to. Half an hour later the agent rings back and leaves me with the distinct impression that he has already gone straight to my previous client for references, or whatever.

Back to obfuscating the client business name it is I guess, FFS. Does anyone else need to protect their clients like this?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Back to obfuscating the client business name it is I guess, FFS. Does anyone else need to protect their clients like this?
    Yes I have 2 roles on my CV that have disguised client names to protect the clients, I was told that they were getting hassled by Agents.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Does anyone else need to protect their clients like
      this?
      No.

HTH

Chico

Comment

I have one entry on my CV "Client name hidden" for a project they wanted to keep top-secret until it was released. Never seemed to raise any eyebrows.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Don't have client names on my CV, just something like 'Auto Manufacturer, Germany' and the number of times UK agencies ring up asking if it was so and so to which I reply, nope, try again. There is no need for them to know the clients name, just the business area.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Waat about geting the client to write a copy of the reference on letterheaded paper and giving a copy of this to the agency. This could negate the reason for them to ring up?

Comment

Originally posted by PayMatters View Post
              Waat about geting the client to write a copy of the reference on letterheaded paper and giving a copy of this to the agency. This could negate the reason for them to ring up?
              The primary reason an agent wants references is to contact your clients for leads. There is a better system available for handling references in this day and age, but agents wouldn't be interested in that and in any case is beside the point about obfuscating client names on CVs, as a CV will pass through many agents hands before a real job and legitimate reason to contact your clients crops up. In fact it should probably never crop up, as your potential client should really check up on references and not every agent that comes across your CV.

Comment

Originally posted by PayMatters View Post
                Yes it could.
                But it wouldn't stop them. Agents don't want references for the reference, they want references for the contact details.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                X