• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

price index?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

price index?

On bench. Clearing out old paperwork at home. just found an invoice for part of my first PC:

3rd May 1988.
    Seagate ST4096 hard disk, 80 Mb (yes, MEGAbytes)
    £528.00
    Last edited by expat; 9 April 2009, 15:04. Reason: Snaw was right!

Originally posted by expat View Post
    On bench. Clearing out old paperwork at home. just found an invoice for part of my first PC:

3rd May 1998.
    £528.00
    WTF 80 MB in 98 cost you £528?

You got ripped off mate.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      WTF 80 MB in 98 cost you £528?

You got ripped off mate.
      That has happened often, indeed, but this disk was in 1988. My mistake.

Comment

Just found an invoice for my contracting in 1988. Banking in the City: £19.00 per hour.

Comment

I can beat that...

3rd May 1988.
          £528.00
          ...32Kb Vixen memory expansion pack for Commodore Vic-20. Sometime in the 1980s. £120.

Comment

Just found an invoice for my contracting in 1988. Banking in the City: £19.00 per hour.
            I've still got 1991 invoices for my second contract, £13.00 per hour.

At the time it was better than £0.00 per hour as we entered recession.

Comment

I wonder if anyone here is old enough to have invoiced in guineas

(and before anyone suggests it, I'm not )
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I wonder if anyone here is old enough to have invoiced in guineas

(and before anyone suggests it, I'm not )
                As far as I can remember, guineas were always the preserve of doctors, tailors and the legal profession. We mere mortals didn't get a look in.

Real reason: probably that Decimalisation Day was so long ago.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

£217 + VAT for an IBM keyboard in the mid/late 80's, pretty certain that's what they charged for the PS/2 keyboards too.

I clearly remember buying 200 1mb SIMMs at £100 a go (bargain at the time) for a job at Leeds Uni in the mid 90's.

Comment

I paid over £1000 for a Sony Super VHS video recorder back in 1986, probably equivalent to at least double or even triple that today, and I don't recall ever using the Super VHS mode once
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X