• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service

I’ve read all the previous posts on jury service, but they haven’t answered all my questions.

First of all it’s a summons, which make me feel like I’m guilty of something.

The “compensation” for loss of earnings is an absolute scandal. Even were I to claim the full amount payable I’d be over £5k down based on a 10 day stint. How can that be fair? The chav up on trial will probably get a £50 fine and a spot of community service. That means I will have suffered more than s\he has.

In the current climate it would be pretty much suicide for me to stop working for 2 weeks (or more), there is a very good chance that my current client will just tell me not to bother coming back. This could seriously ruin me!

How can they punish me in this way? For most working people jury service is a financial punishment. For a contractor the consequences could be catastrophic

I’ve been on Google looking for ways to get off. These are what I have found.

1. Ignore the letter – claim you didn’t receive it.
    2. Stick it back in the post, not at this address.
    3. Claim to be “ist” (racists\sexist\chav-ist).
    4. Break a law myself, that will get me excluded.
    5. Pay the fine - £1000 fine is cheaper than the alternative.

Any one got any advice. Serious advice please.

I’m absolutely desperate to get out of this.

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars View Post
    I’ve read all the previous posts on jury service, but they haven’t answered all my questions.

First of all it’s a summons, which make me feel like I’m guilty of something.

The “compensation” for loss of earnings is an absolute scandal. Even were I to claim the full amount payable I’d be over £5k down based on a 10 day stint. How can that be fair? The chav up on trial will probably get a £50 fine and a spot of community service. That means I will have suffered more than s\he has.

In the current climate it would be pretty much suicide for me to stop working for 2 weeks (or more), there is a very good chance that my current client will just tell me not to bother coming back. This could seriously ruin me!

How can they punish me in this way? For most working people jury service is a financial punishment. For a contractor the consequences could be catastrophic

I’ve been on Google looking for ways to get off. These are what I have found.

1. Ignore the letter – claim you didn’t receive it.
    2. Stick it back in the post, not at this address.
    3. Claim to be “ist” (racists\sexist\chav-ist).
    4. Break a law myself, that will get me excluded.
    5. Pay the fine - £1000 fine is cheaper than the alternative.

Any one got any advice. Serious advice please.

No. 4 is easy. Just dodge your fare on the bus/train/tube.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Maybe you should have joined the PCG and got their jury service cover?

Comment

If you live in a country that offers you the chance of earning 5k "on a 10 day stint" - then maybe you would want to maintain the Status Quo ?

How about actually supporting that country's law and judicial system so the idiots who would gladly come along and maim/kill you for your 5k earned on a "10 day stint" could be safely locked up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
          If you live in a country that offers you the chance of earning 5k "on a 10 day stint" - then maybe you would want to maintain the Status Quo ?

How about actually supporting that country's law and judicial system so the idiots who would gladly come along and maim/kill you for your 5k earned on a "10 day stint" could be safely locked up?
          WHS
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I was exactly your position a few weeks back. Here's what you do:

1) Write them a letter, explaining your situation, detail the financial loss you will incur, loss of income, you are the sole earner for your family etc. Enclose a copy of your contract (that shows your daily rate) to prove you are not making it up.

2) They may excuse you at that point. If not, carry on to next step

3) Turn up at court on the day and have a word with the clerk of the court. Explain again your situation. They generally have more jurors than they need so may release you at that point, or at the very least be able to arrange things such that you are not in the hat for selection.

Cost me half a day, was back at clientco by 1pm.

As others have said, get the PCG cover for next time.

"Keep them at 24,000"
            "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by WetBehindTheEars View Post
              No, you are not desperate now - but should you ever be accused of serious crime you'd be desperate to know that there are honest citizens out there who would come to court and do their duty and won't call declare you guilty in 1 hour instead of deliberating for 48 hours to call you innoncent just because they lost a day of earnings.

The compensation for the jury service might be crap but you should also realise that most people in this country don't earn much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                No, you are not desperate now
                You don't know know that. If the original person who asked the question is in anything like the same boat I was (and I suspect they are) then they are staring financial ruin in the face thanks to jury service.

What do you suggest? Go through with it? Sit there in the courtroom while your world crashes down around you? Lose your home? Put your family on the street? Meanwhile, you can reassure yourself that at least you are doing your civic duty. That'll be a comfort.

"Keep them at 24,000"
                "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  No, you are not desperate now - but should you ever be accused of serious crime you'd be desperate to know that there are honest citizens out there who would come to court and do their duty and won't call declare you guilty in 1 hour instead of deliberating for 48 hours to call you innoncent just because they lost a day of earnings.

The compensation for the jury service might be crap but you should also realise that most people in this country don't earn much.
                  Maybe those are good reasons for having professional jurors?

Also a survey a few years ago revealed that based on the evidence 33% of those not convicted should have been. And 5% of those convicted should not have been.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Maybe those are good reasons for having professional jurors?
                    No - the whole point of jurors is that they are random good citizens rather than those professionally involved.

Originally posted by TCL View Post
                    You don't know know that. If the original person who asked the question is in anything like the same boat I was (and I suspect they are) then they are staring financial ruin in the face thanks to jury service.
                    If you earned so much then you should have substantial reserves to last long downturn, nevermind juror service.

If you don't (despite such much higher earning power) then I would agree that such person should be excused from juror duties on grounds of not being a responsible person.

Originally posted by TCL View Post
                    What do you suggest? Go through with it? Sit there in the courtroom while your world crashes down around you? Lose your home? Put your family on the street? Meanwhile, you can reassure yourself that at least you are doing your civic duty. That'll be a comfort.
                    Current justice system in the UK did not appear out of nowhere - it cost many people lives, so stop whining about losing some cash from doing your duty: if it may cause you financial problems then you'd have time to reflect over your poor financial planning.

Comment

Working...
                    X